smooth-texture, drywall repair

Old 03-19-11, 12:03 PM
smooth-texture, drywall repair

Hello,

This is my first post, so thank you in advance for your help.

I have a smooth-texture drywall repair I need advice on. I have a four-inch base board running along my wall. On top of this baseboard I put a wire track, about 5/8 square, to hide speaker wires (no ceiling or under floor options available). The wire track runs for about 25 linear feet, and was adhered to the wall with a double-sided tape. The wire track was originally white, but has yellowed from the sun, and must be removed.

I have three options:

Pulling the track off will take the paper layer that covers the sheet rock off with it. This will leave an uneven ripped sheet rock paper.

I can take a box cutter and cut above the track, cutting away the paper layer on the sheet rock. This will leave a clean edge to the paper, but still an obvious depression that must be repaired.

Or I can cut downward, between the track and the wall, spitting the double-sided tape in the middle, to separate the track from the wall. This will leave the sheet rock paper in tact, but will leave a fuzzy bump from the double sided tape all along the wall length. I don't know how I could remove this.

My questions are:

What would be the best approach for removal of the track with the easiest repair?

What type of compound should I use for any repair? I have done some trial work, lightweight spackle was too light to get a smooth sanded result, it just sanded out too fast and left depressions. Would joint compound be a good thing to use?

As far as I can tell, the walls were just smooth-sanded and then rolled, so the only texture seems to be from the paint and roller nap.

Again, thanks for any help you can give me.
Scuba

Sponsored Links
Old 03-19-11, 02:26 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I'd cut the double sided tape off of the wall, even if that meant removing the drywall paper from that section. Cutting the paper will prevent you from peeling off a large section of drywall paper. I assume these spots would only be a square inch or so.

Spackling can be used for minor repairs but I usually use joint compound - IMO it works better, just dries a little slower. After the j/c is dry and level, thin some j/c down with water [to about paint consistency] and take a small roller and paint the repairs with the j/c - that should eliminate the repair from looking slicker than the wall that has the roller stipple....... but since it's close to the floor, I'd probably skip the texture unless the customer was extra picky.

almost forgot welcome to the forums!

Old 03-19-11, 02:49 PM
Marksr,

Thanks for the reply. The tape is on the entire length of the wire channel (it came that way) so the repair will be about 25' feet. Unless that changes anything, I will proceed with your advice.

Thanks again.

Old 03-19-11, 02:52 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Since you'll be removing that much paper, it would be best to first prime the raw gypsum with either Zinnser's Gardz [waterbased] or most any solvent based primer. That will seal the edges of the paper and prevent any moisture in the j/c [or latex primer] from peeling up the surrounding paper. You can fudge on small repairs and sometimes you can get lucky on bigger repairs but I wouldn't want to take a chance on a 25' repair even if it is narrow and close to the floor.

Old 03-19-11, 06:56 PM
Marksr,

Thanks for the tips. I will definitely use the primer, wouldn't want the paper to peel up! Thanks.