Thin cracks in my ceiling

Old 03-19-11, 01:17 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thin cracks in my ceiling

While putting on a coat of primer over my textered ceiling, I noticed some very thin straight cracks. The ceiling is in my family room which as an fireplace insert. I'm thinking the heat has caused the cracks. But I always get in trouble when I think....

The cracks are hardly noticeable with the old paint, but I am sure that once I primer and paint they would be. How should I fix the cracks for now, (I will ask how to re-texter the ceiling later). I am thinking, (here I go again) of just using something like a head of a screw driver to enlarge the crack and then caulking in some painters caulk. Would do you think?

I would post some pics but the cracks are so small in width, but about two foot long and straight that I cannot get a good pic.

Also, most of the ceiling has already been primered over the old paint .

Many thanks in advance for any help/recommendations....

Old 03-19-11, 02:18 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
What kind of texture is on the ceiling?

While heat could cause the cracks, it really takes a lot of temperature differences for it to happen, humidity [or lack of] may also play a roll. Can you tell if these cracks are at a drywall joint?

If you scratch out and caulk the cracks, I'd be afraid that would show worse. I have used an elastromeric paint a time or two on rentals to hide the minor ceiling cracks. It's an exterior waterproofing type paint. I'd only go that route as a last resort.

Old 04-03-11, 06:23 PM
W
Received 20 Votes on 18 Posts
Minor Cracks

Why wouldn't a light coat of joint compound work in this situation? Duplicating the texture might be interesting, but just a thought...

Old 04-04-11, 08:19 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the help guy's. I have been trying to post some pictures but this idiot cannot figure out how to use photobucket....

Anyway, I am 99% sure that the cracks are caused by the tape pulling away. They are very thin and straight. It's not the drywall joints, it's like the paper was not applied properly. (No big surprise in this house.)

Would running a small amount of compound on the cracks/gaps, and spreading with my fingers work?

Meanwhile, I will work on getting some pictures...

Thanks again....

Old 04-04-11, 12:52 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
Drywall tape is applied at the joints, there isn't any reason for it to be used elsewhere. Hopefully the drywall's face paper isn't coming loose. If the paper or tape is loose, the only good fix is to remove the loose and start over. I suppose you could have some success with inserting glue behind it and figuring out a way to keep it pressed tight until the glue dries.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: