Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Patching and Plastering
Reload this Page >

Water damaged ceiling, is a solvent-based primer necessary?

Old 03-21-11, 01:15 PM
V
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Hi

After some recent repairs there hasnt been any leaking on my ceiling and I was thinking that its maybe time to plaster it and paint it.

I was thinking of using a primer to provide a better adhesion of a ready mixed plaster and then apply a coat of primer and paint.

The roof has been badly damaged from the water leak but it seems to be very dry now. There are some obvious stains from the water as you can see in these pictures:

Do you think thats its necessary to use a solvent-based primer to prevent the stains from leaking in the new coat of paint? I read somewhere (possibly here) that water stains are soluble in water-based primers. I would prefer not to use a solvent based primer because of the fumes and because this is an indoor surface.
Many thanks

Old 03-21-11, 03:33 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
I doubt you can get by with a latex primer to seal the stains. Water stains generally bleed thru latex paints/primers, if not immediately, sooner or later

I'd prime both the exposed plaster and all the water stains with a solvent based primer. I use a setting compound like durabond to repair plaster. There is some type of plaster primer than can be used over the exposed plaster to promote a good bond but I don't do enough plaster repairs to know what it is I also don't know if it would address the water stains or not. Hopefully one of our plaster pros will chime in later

Old 03-22-11, 10:32 PM
V
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I had a look for plaster primers and apparently they are available in either red or pink color here. (That might be a bit difficult to cover with a white paint ) They are supposed to prevent moisture from getting into the surface that is to be plastered so the plaster moisture doesnt get on the surface? I didnt find any info on tha VOC emmisions from those...
If I get to using those I think I will send an email to some primer manufacturers to ask them about instructions for the safe use of those... I really dont want to start using a painters mask for painting the place...

Old 03-23-11, 03:30 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
It's called "ventilation". Unless you are using a double respirator with proper filters, called PITA, you only need good ventilation with a fan blowing out. Low VOC is good to have, especially in LEEDS buildings, but not always practical for the job at hand. Good luck with your search.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: