Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Repair section of veneer plaster wall

MA

04-08-11, 11:14 AM   #1  
Repair section of veneer plaster wall

Hello and thank you helping.

Due to another project I'm working on I have a not small, but not large hole (less than 2 ft square) I had to put in my walls to get access to the inside of the wall.

The walls are blueboard with a plaster veneer and I am not having any luck finding information on how to repair a section. I'm cursing whatever homeowner before me decided it would be a good idea to do that, but regardless I have to deal with it. (I hate plaster if you haven't guessed). If this was just drywall I could figure it out as information for that is all over the place.

What I'm looking for is if someone could give me step by step directions on what I would need to do to refinish the wall so that once painted you can't tell it was patched.

Thanks,
Chris

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

WI

04-08-11, 12:07 PM   #2  
I don't know plaster but I've seen patches made to plaster walls by putting in drywall in the place of the hole

Not sure whether you're open to that concept

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

04-08-11, 02:12 PM   #3  
Plaster veneer over blue board is superior to just drywall. I've never did any major repairs on plaster veneer but I have done a lot of repairs to the old type of plaster and regular drywall. You should be able to plug the hole with a piece of drywall, leave it just shy of the surrounding drywall. I would then patch it with a setting compound like durabond and float it out even with the existing wall. Sand, touch up as needed then prime and paint

We have a couple of plaster pros on the forums and hopefully they'll chime in later

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

CAL

04-09-11, 05:38 PM   #4  
It's an easy fix. Use drywall as described in a post a notch or two down. If the walls are smooth you can get them almost as smooth as the original plaster if you use setting mud and a spray bottle of water. Mist the mud just as it sets to lubricate your trowel and trowel it through its set and keep the edges of the old work clean.
If it were mine I'd use plaster it would be easier and quicker and I have it on hand. Since you don't have any plaster on hand use the drywall stuff.

If it's textured then match the texture the same way you would with drywall.

Search this Thread