Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Patching and Plastering
Reload this Page >

Plaster walls, gaps larger than baseboards

Plaster walls, gaps larger than baseboards


Old 04-13-11, 08:55 AM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: USA
Posts: 3
Question Plaster walls, gaps larger than baseboards

Hi all, new user, first post.

I've got plaster walls and had to remove a baseboard to repair a section of hardwood. While doing this, the wall crumbled from a repair doing by the prior owner. The holes exceed the height of the baseboard; thus, I need to repair and somehow remedy the holes so there is no visual evidence of a hole above the baseboard.

Do I cut a whole for drywall and replace a full 20"x20" panel, mating drywall in with plaster? At the moment, there's nothing for the drywall to "hang on" or "sit on"... I'd have to take more plaster wall out to see lath or studs... I'm not really sure where to go from here.

PS, the wood in the pictures which is behind plaster wall is from a prior owner repair.

Thanks, Michael
Sponsored Links
Old 04-13-11, 09:19 AM
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: California
Posts: 1,722
The old fashioned cheap fix was to stuff a lot of paper, either plaster sacks or news paper into the hole, paint the edges of the hole with a plaster bonding agent like Plaster Weld then mix up some plaster and force it into the opening further compressing the paper and bonding it to the edges all around. Texture to match and prime and paint Or do it like this:

Cut the opening so the joint will be in about the middle between the studs. Cut 3/4" or 5/8" plywood about 5" wide and longer than the sides of the opening. Cut similar pieces to fit top and bottom Screw this plywood to each side of your opening so about half of the width projects into the hole and half is hidden and screwed to the existing wall. Cut the new piece about 3" larger than the hole in both dimensions. Cut the paper on the back side of the new piece to fit the opening. On the front leave a paper flange which will lap over the existing. Nextwith a sharp knife cut through the face paper on the existing about as wide as the flange and remove some layers of paper Screw the new piece to the plywood. Where the piece crosses a stud screw to the stud too. What you have done is used the flange to lap over the joint and recessed the existing wall edges to accommodate the flange thickness to make the patch flat with the wall -- no hump. Mix up some joint compound and smear it all around the edges and if there is a gap behind the flange fill it. Smooth the flange nice and flat. Let this dry and give it another coat of mud and lt it dry, sand, touch up any flaws, sand, texture to match if needed, prime and paint.

Your drywall will be shallow to the plaster and it will take a few coats of material to get it flush. Use a setting joint compound like EasySand, there are other brands and as soon as one coat is hard you can put on another coat. Screed it flat with the existing. texture to match and prime and paint.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes