Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Patching and Plastering
Reload this Page >

Re-textured walls and now new paint comes off much too easily - HELP

Old 04-27-11, 11:03 AM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Re-textured walls and now new paint comes off much too easily - HELP

Long story made short. We are giving my son's room a makeover (or at least trying to). This included re-texturing the walls and painting. Here's what we did.

1. Cleaned all walls
2. Primed all walls
3. Sprayed new texture and knocked it down
4. Painted with water based paint, two coats, and let dry

It all looks great but there's one BIG PROBLEM. The new texture/paint peels off much too easily. I can use my thumb nail to scrape off the new texture/paint so any little bump or scrape against the wall leaves a nice white "scar" in the teal blue paint. I've narrowed it down to two possible problems.

1. The primer we put over the old paint was a couple of years old and a rather cheap quality.

2. We did not put any primer on top of the new knock down texture. We just painted over it with new, good quality water based paint.

I'm thinking that under coat of cheap primer is the culprit. It seems like the new knock down texture just didn't stick to it properly. I'm considering two different approaches to fixing this problem.

1. Scrape everything off and start all over again (which sucks)

2. Put on a couple of more coats of paint over the top of whats there to see if this "strengthens" the paint enough to keep it from coming off so easily.

Any thoughts, advice and/or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by ashvan63; 04-27-11 at 11:04 AM. Reason: typo
Sponsored Links
Old 04-27-11, 12:10 PM
Group Moderator
Received 223 Votes on 196 Posts
Give it time. Latex paint can take up to 30 days to fully cure.

Old 04-27-11, 03:51 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 330 Votes on 293 Posts
Generally a primer isn't needed under texture unless the walls are glossy. Did you remove the cleaner residue? Were the walls sanded prior to applying the primer?
Not priming the texture is also an issue but I agree that it might fix itself given time to fully cure. If not, there are couple of primers that should help..... but lets give it a little time and see how it does.

btw - welcome to the forums!

Old 04-16-13, 11:17 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I am just starting to repaint the inside of my house and I am wondering why you retextured the walls ontop of the original paint because as I read your post it seemed that the walls were already textured.
Should one always retexture a textured wall prior to repainting it?? I can understand the idea of resealing the original wall it but I would have used the kind of sealer that contains the same product as elmers glue because to my mind that kind of sealer would hold better to the substrate and the new texture,
but then I am not an expert I just do my best because I am retired and unable to pay to have work done, as will be shown by my next two posts that I will be asking advice in myself.

Old 04-17-13, 06:00 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 330 Votes on 293 Posts
I think the OP wanted a different texture. The only reason to texture painted walls is to either change the type of texture or to hide repairs. There are a lot of different primers, most are tailor made for specific jobs. Zinnser's PeelStop might be a viable option for you but we need to figure out the cause of your peeling paint. I'm not aware of any specific primer that has an elmer's glue type formula..... but I'm a painter, not a chemist

btw - welcome to the forums CJEdwards!