Acrylic putty primer

Old 04-29-11, 06:51 AM
Acrylic putty primer

Hi

I am repairing a water damaged ceiling and after scraping the old paint lots of the plaster also fell off the ceiling. There are several layers removed exposing not only the previous plaster but also some "mortar-like" material.
So I was planning on applying a layer of primer before applying putty to make flat.
I had a look on putty primers and there were some available (usually in red color containing silica quartz), but most of them were water based.
I previously used a water based stain blocking primer on a ceiling and then I applied the putty (which was water based acrylic) and the stains did appear on the new putty layer.
So I bought a solvent based stain blocking primer, this one:

K R A F T P A I N T S .GR

This is how the ceiling looks at the moment:

Do you think that:

1. I could use the solvent based primer before applying the putty? Do you think that the primer will adhere well to this surface? I am not sure what most of the layers there are .

2. I could use a normal or a stain blocking water based primer and then apply the putty? The water stains will probably appear in the new layer of putty as they did in the other ceiling I applied putty recently. This is the water based primer I used on the previous ceiling:

K R A F T P A I N T S .GR

and this is how the ceiling looks after applying the putty:

Its not too visible in the photo but there are water stains on the new putty layer.

3. It would be best to use of of these plaster specific primers?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 04-29-11, 02:04 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
As long as all the loose material is removed, you should be good to go with your solvent based primer. Solvent based primers typically adhere better than latex primers. As you now know, they also seal stains better.