Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Patching and Plastering
Reload this Page >

Kilz Upshot vs Kilz standard aerosol can - color difference?

Old 06-25-11, 09:18 AM

I"m trying to cover up a small area of water stain on the ceiling and in researching Kilz oil based primer/sealer was the most recommended solution.

They have a product called Upshot which is designed specifically for ceiling applictions as the nozzles shoots up rather than straight out. The package also says the color is off white/tinted to match most older ceilings.

They also offer a product in a standard aerosol can for more general applications that is described as "white-pigmented". I would imagine it's essentially the same product without the tint added.

Does anyone have experience using both products? Is the standard can a very bright white, or more of a dull/subtle white? I would consider my ceiling color to be more white than off white. Just hoping for the best color match so I don't need to paint over the Kilz.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-25-11, 10:36 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You're gonna paint over it anyway, so a little pigmentation won't matter much. None of the products like you mention will match your paint, regardless. White isn't white anymore.

Old 06-25-11, 01:11 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
While I've never used the 'upshot' and rarely the aerosol, if I remember correctly kilz has a little bit of a yellow tint compared to many "pure" whites. The main thing with sealing water stains is using a solvent based product. The original oil base kilz does a decent job, the latex kilz does not.

Once a paint job becomes a few yrs old it's next to impossible to get a touch to completely disappear. If you want to use the spray kilz - go with the upshot, it will be easier to use/control. I doubt the kilz won't show but maybe it will be close enough for you to live with it. Anytime you spray any type of paint inside your house you have the potential for overspray to get on something it shouldn't. Plan ahead and cover up the area well.