Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Water damage to ceiling in tricky spot

MD

07-10-11, 10:12 PM   #1  
Water damage to ceiling in tricky spot

Leaky shower bar caused this (I've removed some of the damaged dry wall):

http://i1092.photobucket.com/albums/...1310360732.jpg

The leak has been fixed. What's the game plan for repair? I'm thinking that the whole panel of dry wall should be removed, and the adjacent damage should be sanded down, repainted? What might a general estimate be for having this done by a contractor? What can I reasonably do myself to make the job cheaper, quicker for a pro?

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

TN

07-11-11, 05:06 AM   #2  
Welcome to the forums!

I'd cut out the damage [where the hole is] to the nearest ceiling joists. Sometimes it's easier to add some nailers than try to remove 1/2 the drywall that is attached to the joist. Once the drywall is attached it's just a matter of taping and finishing. Any water stains will need to be coated with a solvent based primer/sealer. water stains are notorious for bleeding thru latex paints/primers.

Since labor prices vary greatly in different locales about the only way to get a handle on the price would be to get several estimates. The biggest charge will be for the multiple trips. The hole can be cleaned out, drywall installed along with the drywall tape.... but then it has to dry before more joint compound can be applied. Generally 3 coats need to be applied but some finishers can get it fairly decent with 2 coats.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

Search this Thread