Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Repairing fireplace wall

OH

07-14-11, 11:31 AM   #1  
Repairing fireplace wall

So here's some history. The house had a fire and fireplace wall became damaged. When I brought house previous owners had covered the wall with faux brick paneling. I removed paneling and found a badly damaged wall. I tried to repair it with joint compound and painted over it but I now have a wall that just looks crappy bc i wasn't so go at making it all level.

Once I figure out how to add pictures I'll put one up.

So I need help making wall level and looking nice and maybe even matching texturing up with other walls. I want to tile around the fireplace but I'm not sure if I should paint untiled wall first or tile first. Then I also need help dealing with edges of tile...thanks for all the help in advanced

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

WI

07-14-11, 11:42 AM   #2  
Welcome to the forums

Definitely need some pictures on this one

http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...your-post.html

OH

07-14-11, 12:07 PM   #3  
Thanks, and heres pictures

wall straight on

close up of wall

side view of wall

pattern on existing walls

tile I'm going to install

OH

07-14-11, 12:11 PM   #4  

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

07-14-11, 01:42 PM   #5  
First you'll need to scrape off any loose paint and then fill in those areas with joint compound. Using a sanding block or a pole sander will help in sanding the j/c flatter, it holds the paper flat unlike your fingers that may go in and out.

I couldn't tell from the pics, do you have a sand finish [gritty] or an orange peel? Sand finish is achieved by using a sand like additive in the paint. Orange peel texture can be bought in aerosol cans or made from thinned down j/c. It's best sprayed but small areas can be done by applying the thinned down j/c with a sponge.

I assume the texture pictured in post #4 is of the ceiling ?? It can be duplicated by rolling on j/c thinned to about paint consistency and then 'patting' it with a damp sponge.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

OH

07-14-11, 04:04 PM   #6  
ok so my walls are plaster and yes texture is on wall. Im not sure about finish I used satin paint...Idk if that what ur asking. I have taken most of the paint off of that wall so I guess I should fill in the holes with joint compound and then do a skim coat with thinned down joint compound? Is that right? And is there any special kind I should get for the finishing skim coat? And with placing tile there is it true that thin set doesn't stick well to joint compound? If so should I use something else? I can send updated pic...

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

07-15-11, 04:19 AM   #7  
I'd use the all purpose j/c [green lid] It adheres the best.
The finish I was referring to is the texture. It's possible that you don't have texture and what I'm seeing is just roller stipple on the wall. Hard to say from a pic

I've seen tile guys set tile both over bare sheetrock [with j/c in places] and over painted tile. I don't know that there would be an issue with the thinset but you probably ought to ask a tile guy to be sure. You might want to ask that question in the tile forum.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

OH

07-15-11, 04:34 AM   #8  
Thx so much for all the help... I'm off to a good start

Search this Thread