Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

stress crack tape

TX

07-24-11, 09:08 AM   #1  
stress crack tape

I have several drywall stress cracks that open & close according to the weather. I never realized that there were so many types of dry wall tape on the market. I know that the old type paper tape is going to tear the 1st time that the crack expands. Does the tape that actually stretches called "stress crack tape") actually work ? I know that you can't endorse a certain product, but what have you had good luck with ?
thanks,
Roger

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

TN

07-24-11, 01:03 PM   #2  
I wouldn't bet against the old paper tape.
I'm not familiar with any tape labeled 'stress crack tape' Generally the self adhesive mesh tapes have a poor track record although their success rate goes up if you use a setting compound like durabond. Setting compounds dry harder than the ready mix joint compound.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

Group Moderator

WI

07-25-11, 06:38 AM   #3  
Paper tape would be my choice - it's actually stronger than the mesh stuff. That said, I have no idea what 'stress crack tape' is.

Super Moderator

AZ

07-25-11, 06:50 AM   #4  
I never heard of it either....but here ya go...Home Depot - 2 in. x 50 ft. Self-Adhesive Stress Crack Tape customer reviews - product reviews - read top consumer ratings

Vic
"I sometimes wonder how some people ever made it to adulthood..."

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

07-25-11, 09:05 AM   #5  
I suspect that is the same 'sticky' or mesh type tape that has a bad track record ...... although it is probably a shorter roll, marketed to homeowners.

Super Moderator

AZ

07-25-11, 09:13 AM   #6  
Actually supposedly it doesn't even need to be gone over with anything (supposedly!)...it has rough edges that are supposed to blend in after painting. Product Images

I know that can work with wallpaper....maybe with orange peel walls even...but I can't see it on a smooth finish?

Vic
"I sometimes wonder how some people ever made it to adulthood..."

TX

07-25-11, 09:20 AM   #7  
Appearently it's not the greatest thing on the market or everyone would have heard about it. I would say that the big selling point is "the stretch" instead of tearing. Here is the installation proceedures on u-tube. ‪Learn to repair ceiling and wall cracks with Stress Crack Tape‬‏ - YouTube

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

07-25-11, 09:24 AM   #8  
Vic you're right - it is different than the sticky tape, I should have looked closer
According to step #4, you are supposed to skim a coat of mud over it. If it's ultra thin, it wouldn't be too hard to get by with just 1 coat of j/c.

Group Moderator

WI

07-25-11, 09:45 AM   #9  
It stretches instead of tearing? If so, I can see that you wouldn't want to put anything over the top of it, maybe including paint

IL

08-08-11, 01:08 PM   #10  
haha...got stretchy paint?

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

08-08-11, 02:53 PM   #11  
Latex paint will 'stretch' just a little...... but if the joint repairs moves, wouldn't you wind up with a bubble on the wall when it contracts?

TX

08-20-11, 07:43 PM   #12  
stress crack tape

Ok...I have fixed all those cracks with that advertised
"stress crack tape" . It came out ok, but time will tell. I too am wondering what is going to happen when these cracks decide to open & close.
Roger

Search this Thread