Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Patching and Plastering
Reload this Page >

Need help where the drywall meets the floor

Old 07-24-11, 01:53 PM

We're redoing our bathroom, which involved the removal of portions of some of the previous plasterered walls. After hanging new sheetrock, we hired a drywaller to finish the walls. They did a good job of smoothing out the walls, in particular the transition mid-wall from old plaster to new drywall. We are getting ready to paint, tile the floor, etc. and we now notice that the baseboard trim is going to be harder than we thought. At the base of the wall, instead of sheetrock going down to the floor, it sits on top of a roughly 1x3 board. The old plaster walls had the plaster build out to be flush with this board, however the new drywall is thinner by about 1/2" at the widest.

First off, what is the purpose of that 1x3 board? Should I have removed it from the start before having the drywaller come in? Should I have installed the sheetrock flush with it using spacers, instead of directly to the studs?

Second, what can I do for baseboard trim? I've considered putting on baseboard like normal and then trying to caulk the gap, however I'm not sure that will look good enough.

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-24-11, 02:11 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Welcome to the forums!

I'm not sure what the purpose of the board was but it's best not have the drywall set directly on the floor where it could wick up water.

As for the base - could you chisel out the 1x as necessary and maybe back cut the base so it will fit?

A pic or two might help us better understand the situation http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...your-post.html

Old 07-24-11, 06:11 PM
Thanks for the response marksr, I've thought about trying to cut the board down flush, not sure what the best tool for the job would be though.

Here's a pic, you can see the drywall and the board below:

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 07-25-11, 04:09 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Ouch, that's worse than I imagined. Unless you can remove the entire board, I think it would be easier to incorporate the 1x3 into the trim. You'd want to use a baseboard that is shorter than the 1x3 and either put a small molding on top of the 1x3 or caulk it to the drywall. Then you could paint it all with your woodwork paint.

Old 07-25-11, 07:12 AM
Group Moderator
That board was used with plaster walls as a guide to establish the depth of the plaster where it meets the baseboard. Without it, plaster walls can vary in their thickness, making the wall wavy so using it ensured the wall would be perfectly straight behind the base, and it gave the baseboard something solid to nail to. Yes you should have removed it, and run your drywall closer to the floor. You should remove that board and you can probably replace it with a strip of 1/2" plywood, or whatever thickness plywood you need to make it come out flush with your new drywall.