Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Texture pulling away from around window on the inside

WA

08-06-11, 11:28 AM   #1  
Texture pulling away from around window on the inside

We are repainting the inside walls and around the window, it seems that the textured surface has pulled away from the wooden sill. Parts of it has broken off. Not sure how to prep it before we paint it. Any suggstions?

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

TN

08-06-11, 02:42 PM   #2  
Welcome to the forums!

Is the texture on the wood or do you mean on the wall near the wood?
Texture doesn't adhere well to wood and should be removed if that is the case. Any loose texture on the wall should also be removed. Then you'll need to retexture those areas [unless you don't care a lot about how it looks] Most textures can be duplicated by thinning down some joint compound and applying it in the correct manner. Do you know what type of texture you have?

If you don't know what type of texture it is, we can probably help you identify it and then how to duplicate it. Either a better description or a pic will help us help you - http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...your-post.html

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

WA

08-06-11, 05:33 PM   #3  
Thanks for responding. I did have someone take a look at it and he feels the drywall went up to the bottom of the 1" X 4" sill, and then it was taped from the drywall seam to the top of the wood sill. Then it was texture over it. So he suggested maybe a border around the window that would cover the chipping and provide a temporary solution until the windows get replaced. It would be more of cosmetic fix. The texture is a knockdown.

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

08-07-11, 05:04 AM   #4  
I'm not surprised that drywall tape is peeling off of the wood - it should have never been done that way. I agree using would trim would be the simplest way to rectify the problem. I assume the peeling is limited to just where the tape is ??

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

Search this Thread