Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Patching and Plastering
Reload this Page > Is there any way to thicken spackilng compound?

Is there any way to thicken spackilng compound?

Old 09-03-11, 05:57 PM
Is there any way to thicken spackilng compound?

I've emptied an important closet in my house (kitchen stuff, table ware, and tools) and removed the shelves. I ripped the little wooden shelf supports off the wall. I've sanded the walls and was ready to patch the various holes with spackling compound before painting, but my spackling compound is too thin. (It was probably too thick the last time I used it, so I added a little water. Too much, it seems.)

I really wanted to get most of this project done on Monday--Labor Day--but the stores will be closed. Besides, why spend another $5 on spackling compound if this is usable?

The holes were made where I pulled nails out of the wall and most are small, but one is about 3 x 4 inches where a chunk of plaster fell out.

Any suggestions?

Nan

Sponsored Links
Old 09-03-11, 06:11 PM
Group Moderator
Yeah, my suggestion would be that you would not want to use spackling for a hole that big. So if you won't be using spackling for that one hole you might as well buy a little bucket of joint compound, or one of the bags of dry mix compound (easy sand).

Never done it, but a little corn starch might help the spackle.

Old 09-03-11, 06:52 PM
I'm trying the cornstarch.

Thanks, Xsleeper. It appears to be the right consistency. I've filled all the small holes and some cracks. I'm going to see if it will thicken a little more and let me fill the big hole with the thicker stuff. You know, kind of like stuffing a ball of modeling clay into the hole. I'll let it dry on Sunday and see if it will sand into a decent finish for painting on Monday.

If it doesn't work, I won't stress over it. I just go buy that joint compound you suggested.

Nan

Old 09-05-11, 09:34 AM
Never thought of cornstarch. I would have suggested perlite but that would have meant a trip to town which you were trying to avoid. Perlite might not have made it feel thicker but would have given it "body".

Did the whole chunk of plaster fall out leaving a hole into the stud cavity or showing the wood lath behind the plaster or was it only the finish? A hole that is not too deep even if the wood lath show could be patched with spackle. It is not the best but in a closet it could work, though it might take more than one coat even if thickened.

Give us a report when you finish.

Search this Thread