Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Patching and Plastering
Reload this Page >

Kitchen wall renovation. Wife is going to kill me.

Old 10-14-11, 12:32 PM
Super Moderator

OK since I was bored today I decided to rip the 40 yr old panaling out of the kitchen area.

What a can of worms I opened. It may be beyond my abilities. I did this to a bedroom a few yrs ago and the walls were kind of normal, so that room went ok.

This kitchen sheet rock seems to have a wood grain to it. I dont know if its from yrs of being pressed against the paneling or not. Its glossy. The underside of the paneling does not have the same texture.

Did they make wood panel looking sheetrock? It sure dont look like wall paper.

The sheet rock seams have a larger the normal bevel.

I am doing this in anticipation of new windows.

Gee, wait until my wife gets home.

Here are some pics. Any help is appreciated.

Kitchen pictures by lawrosa - Photobucket

Times like this makes me want to just call someone.

Help!!!!...LOL

Mike NJ

Sponsored Links
Old 10-14-11, 12:46 PM
Super Moderator
Mike...I'm not sure which pics are which...but it seems to me that the white beadboard looking stuff was put up over some type of wood paneling...or vice versa.

Either way...seems like you'll be going down to the studs unless whats left now is 1/2" solid wood.

Could you maybe label the pics or explain which is which?

Old 10-14-11, 01:00 PM
Super Moderator
I added comments.

That wood looking brown is the sheetrock.

The one pic with the blue grey wall is the paneling.

Mike NJ

Old 10-14-11, 01:32 PM
Super Moderator
Like I said...I don't think that's sheetrock. It looks like paneling. Maybe it's glued to sheetrock underneath...how thick is it? You should be able to tell right at the switchbox.

I don't think it will be that hard to make it right...depending on how much you want to spend, dollar and time wise.

Old 10-14-11, 01:51 PM
I'm not sure what the material is either. Any idea of it's age? Whatever it is, it doesn't look like what you would want as a finished wall material. How are your drywall skills.

Who wanted to get rid of the paneling. You or the wife? I guess I'm lucky, I've gotten in too deep so many times over the years that all I have to say is "job growth" and the wife just nods and walks away mumbling.

Old 10-14-11, 01:58 PM
Super Moderator
I am trying to take more pics. Waiting for batt. to charge in camera.

Its sheet rock alright. I see traces of possibly a wall paper that was removed. Plus there are two different colors which I will show in the pics I am going to take.

It seems that they may have had a wood grain wall paper and removed it to install the paneling. It looks like the old wall paper may have gave the sheet rock a permenant wood look.

Pics are coming.

Mike NJ

Old 10-14-11, 02:05 PM
Super Moderator
Any idea of it's age?
House 1950. Paneling probably late 60's?

How are your drywall skills.
I have none.......

Who wanted to get rid of the paneling. You or the wife?
All I know is I am going to try to blame it on her somehow. If that dont work I will have to use, " I was concerned for the health and saftey of the family due to mold growth"...

I guess I am lucky I have that small spot to show her.

Mike NJ

Old 10-14-11, 02:39 PM
Super Moderator
OK I took more pics.

It looks like there was some type of wood grain wallpaper at one time. The pics show small fragments.

Could the wall paper of been removed and left the woodgrain look on the sheet rock? It really looks like the sheetrock was bought this way, but I dont know.

Plus there is two different colors. At the top ceiling and bottom floor areas are a lighter color. Like molding that was on it years ago kept it the lighter color.

Mind boggling.......

I just dont know what to do with it.

Kitchen pictures by lawrosa - Photobucket

Mike NJ

Old 10-14-11, 02:41 PM
Temporarily Suspended
I don't know why people hate paneling. It's maintenance free. At the most, it gets dusted or washed with a damp cloth. Go down to the studs, make sure the water leak is corrected & build again.

Old 10-14-11, 02:49 PM
Super Moderator
If I could also post the smell you will know why... The stuff between the paneling and sheet rock IMO cannot be very healthy.

House is very musty smelling now that I ripped this down. House always had and has a musty smell.

I have two rooms left after this one to do.

Mike NJ

Old 10-14-11, 03:13 PM
Temporarily Suspended
If there were no other way, then it had to be done. As I said, remove everything to the studs, spray bleach & water wherever there is mold, then rebuild.

Old 10-14-11, 03:19 PM
Super Moderator
Pulpo I am asking what this sheetrock covering is!!!

I am not about to rip it out if all I have to do is spackle the seams and paint it. The walls are true and straight. I only had a small mold area and I vacuumed that right off. Its dry there from what I can see.

Mike NJ

Mike NJ

Old 10-14-11, 03:32 PM
Group Moderator
I have never seen Sheetrock with that wood grain paper on it but there is always a first time. I agree with everybody else. Take it down to the studs, look for mold and fix and build it back. On the good side sheetrock is cheap and I'm sure you can figure it out how to hang it. Tapeing it is another story. It will cost you some money to hire it but I think with the smell, and the visual mold growth it was the right thing to do.

Old 10-14-11, 03:32 PM
Temporarily Suspended
I would say it's Masonite board.

Old 10-14-11, 03:39 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Mike, could it be some type of adhesive that's been on the drywall for decades? Hard to tell from the pics. If it is adhesive, you'd be best off oil priming the walls first. One good thing about tearing down to the studs - you can update any electrical or insulation.... but it is more work

Old 10-14-11, 04:04 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Basics.....it's ugly, and can't be made pretty. From my standpoint and the others, ditch the "sheetrock", do some upgrades, put it back together. You can wear your "hero" t-shirt with honor, then.

Old 10-14-11, 04:28 PM
Super Moderator
OK, but...

I know from the pics it looks like wood, but I tell ya's its the paper on the sheet rock. And Its not wall paper. I even have to go and touch it and look at it to make sure.

Here I put pics of the seam. Its two pieces of sheet rock. The edges are super beveled and that wood grain carries over. If it was wall paper they would have spackled right?

It looks like its wood grain sheet rock that has a bevel so when you join the two it looks like a paneling groove.

Its crazy, but is there any reason not to paint it? What will I gain by tearing it out except insulation? I want to do as little as possible.

Waaaa!!!!! I should of left it alone!!!!!!!!

Surely one of the older gentlmen on this site should remember what this stuff is. CHANDLER!!!!!!!!

I am telling you all it aint wood!!!!!!

Mike NJ

Old 10-14-11, 04:36 PM
Temporarily Suspended
From the pics it looks like masonite board. If you say it's paper, then I believe you.

If you want to patch it & paint it, then do it. Don't let anyone stop you.

Old 10-14-11, 04:43 PM
Group Moderator
I'm not that old so I can't say for sure. Looks to me like it was a "cheap" version of paneling. Looks like they nailed the outside edge and then there was a strip to cover the seam. I bet you will find it is glued to the studs. One of your other pictures shows what looks like a wood grained printed tape to cover any nails/holes.

Waaaa!!!!! I should of left it alone!!!!!!!!
Easy big guy! Seriously, I think you are doing yourself a favor. I would get rid of that moldy crap! But if you want to as little as possible, (and your that afraid of sheetrock), what about covering it up with paneling again?

Old 10-15-11, 05:22 AM
Mike - Any chance that what you have is a faux wood finish or maybe somebody made sheetrock with paper designed to look like wood.

Whatever the stuff is, it looks like it's demo time.

Old 10-15-11, 07:06 AM
Mystery Material

My only qualification is I am old. The wood grain stuff looks like self-adhesive shelving paper that was available to line bare wood shelves. I cannot imagine someone would cover an entire wall with this stuff. I agree you should tear down to the studs and build back.

Old 10-15-11, 08:37 AM
Group Moderator
In my bathroom when I tore off the 1/8" Masonite tile board which was falling off the wall because it wasn't installed correctly I found glued to the Sheetrock 1/16th" cardboard (yes cardboard) printed with a tile pattern. Maybe this is something similar.

Old 10-15-11, 08:46 AM
Super Moderator
This is sheet rock...... Its nothing else. Its sheet rock with a wood grain on the paper front.

I dont know what to do. I will take more pics when I get all the paneling off.

I was thinking filling the sheet rock seam with spackle and painting.

Why is everyone saying rip it down??? Just wondering. To insulate?

Talked to my father in law today and he says in the 1960's you ordered sheet rock and they put in a machine to imprint whatever finish you wanted. He is a carpenter 50 yrs.

Mike NJ

Old 10-15-11, 09:00 AM
Super Moderator
Well...other than the fact it looks in pretty bad shape? You said it was glossy and wood grained? If it's glossy, joint compound won't stick very well, if at all. If it really has a grain to it, that will show right through the paint. MAYBE you could put a layer of 1/4" or 3/8 sheetrock over it....but you'd still have to do all the taping and mudding. Just as easy (and a better result) to rip it down and redo.

As you can tell by no one ever having seen it before...it probably wasn't around too long. Maybe there was a reason for that?

Old 10-15-11, 09:58 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
MH's still utilize drywall with a printed vinyl face but I've never seen it used in a stick built house. If the face of the drywall is shiny, you'd need to either sand off the sheen or apply a coat of a solvent based primer before applying any j/c.

Old 10-15-11, 12:54 PM
Mike - Everybody is saying tear it down 'cause they ain't gotta' do it.

Seriously, it's probably a one day job to demo and drywall a room. Especially if you're not messing with the ceiling. Sheetrock is fairly inexpensive. If you don't like mudding (who does?) just hire a pro to mud and sand.

Old 10-15-11, 06:50 PM
Group Moderator
I like tapeing. But then I have done it enough, and have the tools, that I'm pretty good. IF you lived closer I would offer to do it. (For a nominal fee of course )

I say tear it off because it is moldy. You will also spend more time trying to repair/tape/skim coat it then tearing it off, getting rid of the nails, and rehanging it.

What? Don't like my "repanel" idea?

Old 10-15-11, 07:33 PM
Super Moderator
Well when I renovated the bath I wanted to look like this. Love the rustic look.

My wife said no!!!! I cant understand why. Possibly I will run the repanel past her. What could happen?
*secretly getting first aid kit ready for cuts and lacerations I may encounter from objects thrown across the room*

Mike NJ

Old 10-16-11, 07:46 AM
Group Moderator
It wouldn't need to be that "rustic" paneling (as most people envision with paneling). You could do a white beadboard or some thin (3/16") Pine or oak tongue and groove. The white also comes in a tongue and groove as well sheet goods. Look in your millwork section of your big box store. Of course the bead board could also be painted. Do you paint?

Old 10-16-11, 09:44 AM
Group Moderator
Well if you can sell it to the Captain based on on how easy it is to clean, there is always FRP. It comes in many colors besides white. I had a lady customer that just loved it.

Old 10-16-11, 10:41 AM
Super Moderator
OK all three wall done. Paneling remove. Yes I will be removing the sheetrock. *lowers head in shame*

Wall #1

Wall #2

Wall #3

Me covering black eye with sunglasses. Oh the spouse is the admiral. I am the captain.

Sheet rock tomorrow!!!! Yeah!!!!

Mike NJ

Old 10-16-11, 02:10 PM
Super Moderator
Oh and can I just say that the baseboard covers are wood grain also.......

They were painted white but upon removeing them the backs are factory wood grain. I think Hydrotherm made them, but not sure.

Geez I can imaging what this whole room looked like back in the day

Mike NJ

Old 10-17-11, 11:54 AM
Super Moderator
OK sheetrock is down. Interestingly I found one lone tag on the back of the sheetrock.

Also I found two screws with string at each long end of the room. I would assume they were used to hold the sheetrock up when installing the ceiling.

And here are the wall. I guess the first thing would be to install and secure new electrical boxes.

OK peace out!!!!!!

Mike NJ

Old 10-17-11, 12:06 PM
Looks like a good opportunity to redo the insulation around your windows.

Old 10-17-11, 02:31 PM
Oh YES they made sheetrock with face paper that looked like wood. I've only ever seen it in garages. You can't tape and mud it like regular sheetrock. Take it out and redo with regular rock.

Old 01-27-12, 09:54 AM
Super Moderator
OK boys and girls. The assistance program approved 4 out of 6 windows. They installed the 4 today. I followed behind them and insulated them before they put up the 1/4 molding. I still need to add the sill after I sheet rock. Also I am going to pull out the insulation in the wall and install new.

Question: They will not sell me two windows. The company that installed these said they will come back if I want the two other windows but will be $350 per window. Thats install, window, outside aluminum trim...etc.

I think they did a alright job. They probably would not of insulated all the gaps as good as I did. They dont look like expensive windows though but I guess better then I had.

Anyway does that sound resonable $350 a window?

I watched and can probably get the old window out and put the new in but the outside aluminum bending trim I cant do.

What do you think???

Note: The 4 windows were installed free of charge through the weaterization program I applied for in NJ.

Here is the window tag.
[IMG][/IMG]

Inside

[IMG][/IMG]

Outside

[IMG][/IMG]

Outside two front

[IMG][/IMG]

One old window left in back

[IMG][/IMG]

One old window next to it where washer and dryer is.

[IMG][/IMG]

So they are the two windows they did not do and I need to do them myself or have them do it for $350 a window.

I am thinking that may be a resonable charge but I am not a carpenter and really have no clue. But it took then two hours to replace the 4 so I figure 2 windows will take an hour. So that would be $700 an hour less the cost of the windows. I cant see the windows costing more then $100 each. That would make it $500 an hour. After what he pays his employees, ( Two guys came) plus travel, gas etc lets take $100 off that.

$400 bucks an hour. That seems like a fair profit for a company to stay in business no?

LOL..

Mike NJ

Old 04-17-12, 07:16 AM
Super Moderator
OK. I am not a procrastinator, but do what I can as money allows. Plus the wife was getting mad that the walls were open for months.

I got my local watering hole buddy to help me with the rock and spackle. Well actually he did it because I just got in the way.

I feel he gave me a good price. Rock, spackle , trim ( Windows, doors only), paint @ $950.

Let me know if this is a good price.

I was going to paint to save money but when he said he would paint for $200 I just could not resist.

I did re insulate. It took one roll/bundle/bag. I took all that old foil stuff out.

Rock, spackle, trim was $750.

Here are pics of our much needed progress.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Will post back probably when finished.

Mike NJ

Old 05-11-12, 03:38 PM
Super Moderator
OK one project almost complete.

Just need switch/outlet covers and new baseboard heat covers.

Surprisingly the kids did not bank and dent the fins.

Its harvest brown.

( Was going to be bicycle yellow, but I as captain overruled the admiral (spouse)

And I know, it takes me a long time to finish my projects. Its just I have so many going on its never ending.

Mike NJ

Old 05-11-12, 04:07 PM
Group Moderator
I lost track of this one. Thanks for the update. It looks great!

Old 05-12-12, 03:55 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
And I know, it takes me a long time to finish my projects. Its just I have so many going on its never ending.
You're not alone, there have been times that I've had so many irons in the fire I ahead to remove all the coals to make room for the iron

Room looks good!