Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Patching and Plastering
Reload this Page >

Wallpaper removal & prep for texture or paint

Old 10-24-11, 11:34 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

This may have already been covered, but I can't find it. Okay, started to remove vinyl wallpaper from dining room. Went over the wall with the Paper Tiger, and slathered on DIF concentrate. The vinyl part of the paper came off pretty easy. But what I guess is the backing of the paper stayed behind. This has proved to be really tough to get off. Tried more DIF and a Wagner steamer. That helps, but now it's leading to drywall damage. I've been trying to find a solution, and found one forum that said a texture could be applied right on top of wallpper if an oil based primer was used first. Well, I'm a bit past that point. But can I still put a primer over this wallpaper backing & then texture, then paint? If "yes", does it matter if it's oil or water based primer? Some of the areas with this backing still stuck to the drywall are pretty large.

And if I can do this ( fingers crossed ) I'm not sure which way to go on a texture. Been reading mixed reviews on both BEHR Texture Paint and on HOMAX add to paint texture. Any opinions there?

Many thanks,
Fred

Old 10-24-11, 11:52 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

I'd keep at the removal as long as you're making progress - generally speaking, you're almost always better off having all of the wallpaper removed before painting. If, however, you have some that just won't budge, then painting over it might work out for you.

If the drywall is damaged, which is common in wallpaper removal, prime the exposed gypsum with Zinnser Gardz and then you can smooth the wall with joint compound. After that, prime and paint (my personal choices being Zinnser 123 and Benjamin Moore paint).

In my opinion, you will find better materials and resources at a paint store than a paint department in a bigger store, so I would not use the product you mentioned.

Old 10-24-11, 12:56 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks Mitch, Guess I'll just keep plugging along.

Fred

Old 10-24-11, 03:12 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
Could you post a pic or two of the wallpaper/wall? http://www.doityourself.com/forum/li...-pictures.html

Usually the vinyl part is hard to remove and the backer comes off easy. I just want to make sure you aren't removing the paper face of the drywall

Gardz is the only latex primer/sealer that will work. Other types of latex primer can be problematic. The only other choice would be an oil base primer. If you decide to texture, the texture will also need priming - latex primer would be fine.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: