Best way to fix Sheetrock around outlet

Old 11-14-11, 07:17 PM
Best way to fix Sheetrock around outlet

I was attempting to add a wire to an existing outlet in my kitchen and I realized I had to remove the original outlet box to properly install the new wire. While I was removing the box, I damaged the surrounding sheetrock so now it is bigger than the new box I am installing. What is the best repair?

I was thinking i would cut a patch(maybe a 3x3) from a new sheet of drywall and hold it over the damaged area, trace it and then cut out the damaged drywall. Then tape and mud the new patch.

Any opinions on how to carry out my plan better or perhaps a new, easier way, would be welcome.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-15-11, 04:25 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
How bad is the damage? a pic might be helpful.

A 3'x3' is probably over kill. 1 sq ft should be enough. After you cut out the drywall insert some wood longer than the opening and screw it to the remaining the drywall. You can then use that wood to help secure the patch piece.

Old 11-15-11, 07:37 AM
what is the best size wood to use as backer? 2x4 or maybe something thinner?

also, do i put the wood around the entire hole like a picture frame of
just like cross members?

thanks

Old 11-15-11, 09:20 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
You wouldn't need anything as big as a 2x, I normally use whatever is handy - 1x's or even plywood. You shouldn't need to go all around like a picture frame, I usually screw one on each side. A lot depends on the size of the hole and what [if anything] is in the way.

Old 11-16-11, 12:06 PM
Group Moderator
1x2 is the most common piece of wood I use to attach for a patch. The wood only need be attached to the existing piece of drywall; I try to put it along the edges so my patched is attached to it at the edge rather than the center.