Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Re-surfacing drywall after removing backsplash tiles

NJ

11-17-11, 01:06 PM   #1  
Re-surfacing drywall after removing backsplash tiles

I have a contractor replacing my countertop and backsplash with new material. For some reason, the previous owner had continued the backsplash tile so extended behind the refrigerator. To cut costs, we decided to have tile just before it reaches the refrigerator. However, the wall surface is rough and uneven. Our contractor wasn't willing to re-surface it for us because we hadn't asked him to when we contracted him out, though he's willing to have it done for a little extra. I figure I could just re-surface it myself. However, after having tried researching it online, I'm confused as to what I need. The tile came off pretty easy, there are just some small bumps and runs here and there. Do I just take joint compound and smooth out a fine layer across the whole wall? Or do I use plaster or spackle?

What do you recommend?

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

TN

11-17-11, 03:12 PM   #2  
I'd scrape and sand it the best you can and then apply the joint compound. No need for plaster and spackling is for minor repairs.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

Group Moderator

WI

11-18-11, 10:25 AM   #3  
The only thing I would add to what Mark said is you need to prime any areas where the paper came off the drywall (wasn't clear in your post whether this even happened) with Zinnser Gardz to keep the exposed gypsum from absorbing the moisture in the joint compound.

Search this Thread