Crack in ceiling

Old 11-25-11, 03:25 PM
Crack in ceiling

Hey guys, I just noticed a large crack going across my ceiling. It starts from where the staircase is, all the way across about 3 feet long. I've never had to fix anything like this before, and I don't know what to do. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-25-11, 03:31 PM
Group Moderator
First, is the ceiling smooth or is it textured? Is the ceiling drywall or plaster? The answer to those questions will determine the next few steps.

Generally, ceiling cracks in drywall need to be taped and refinished. They often show up because of movement in the joists, and if that is the case, they will often eventually show up again as the framing twists and bends under various loads.

Post back and I'm sure we can give you some suggestions.

Old 11-26-11, 04:30 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
A pic or two might also be helpful,

http://www.doityourself.com/forum/li...-pictures.html

Old 11-26-11, 10:00 AM
Group Moderator
How old is the house? The crack is new?

Old 11-26-11, 11:11 AM
The house is about 20 years old. The crack has been their for about 4 months I'm guessing. And it's drywall.

Old 11-26-11, 11:26 AM
Group Moderator
My first concern in something like this is why did it crack in the first place? In a new house, things settle but after 20 years, the settling should be done.

As to fixing it, joint compound and paper tape, followed by primer and paint (probably will have to paint the whole ceiling).

Old 11-26-11, 12:05 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Is the ceiling textured? or slick finish? even a slick finish ceiling might require a light texture to mimic several coats of paint.

Have you moved any heavy furniture above the crack? Checked the foundation to make sure there hasn't been any changes?

Old 11-27-11, 12:34 PM
Here is a cheap quick method that worked for me. !st it works only if you have a textured ceiling (mine is the old popcrn style) 2nd, use a elastomeric calk (lowe's). The white calk blended right in with my ceiling. Just take your time & maybe you might practice a little before you tackle the ceiling. good luck...
Roger
Caulking a ceiling "crack" - YouTube

Old 11-28-11, 06:41 AM
Sorry Roger but caulk isn't going to fix the crack. It will crack out again and between then it will just look bad. Caulk is ok for inside corners and small cracks but not a 4 foot crack on a smooth ceiling.

Old 11-28-11, 11:40 AM
The ceiling is the textured "popcorn style". The visible crack that I see downstairs is where my walk in attic would be upstairs. I have been rummaging in the attic a little bit, but nothing to cause a crack that like I hope?

Old 11-28-11, 12:05 PM
sweetchildomine...If you have a "slab" foundation & your soil has a lot of clay in it, you may be having movement in your walls, ceiling, etc. That's my problem down here in south Texas. I have had small cracks in my walls now & then, but it finally happened to a bedroom ceiling. I'm getting better at fixing these things...experience !
Roger

Old 11-28-11, 12:22 PM
Group Moderator
Not part of what you asked but you'll have to match the texture once you fix the crack and I think practicing on scrap material or cardboard to perfect your technique before moving to the actual work surface is a good idea.

Old 11-28-11, 01:26 PM
The whole idea behind using elestomeric caulk is that it will expend or contract with the crack opening. Secondly you can take a small tipped screwdriver & create texture to match the rest of the ceiling. I painted my ceilings a few years ago, so a can of white spray paint blended the repair in. Roger
Handyman tips from "joe": caulking a ceiling repair - YouTube

Old 12-03-11, 11:06 AM
Thanks guys, I'm going to start practicing around a bit today to see how it goes. It's got to be fixed ASAP. It looks extremely tacky.

Old 12-11-11, 12:31 PM
Just giving an update. Had a friend come over and help me with the ceiling. Looks brand new again! Thanks for the advice.

Old 12-12-11, 10:49 AM
Group Moderator
Thanks for the update, always nice to hear how things work out.

Old 07-14-12, 07:55 AM
Unfortunately the crack is back again...I give up!

Old 07-14-12, 12:34 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
What method did you use to repair the crack?