Hairline Drywall crack.

Old 11-30-11, 01:10 PM
Hairline Drywall crack.

I hung drywall about a month ago,Its all completed and primed.The walls turned out great.The Ceiling is the issue.I have painted 2 times,I used sticky back mesh tape instead of Paper tape when I finished the drywall.I Noticed a very fine hairline crack in the drywall Mud seam area's in a few places.I have tried filling the crack with paint,2 differant types of high hide primer,I built the mud up and made the seam about 36" wide thinking it was a tape bulg.The drywall has no movement,when I push on the sides of the cracks.I have taken pictures but do not no how to post them.
I have not dug the cracks out,I also have not tried re-tape and thin mud with mesh tape.
Does anyone have any suggestions.
Thanks John

Sponsored Links
Old 11-30-11, 01:36 PM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums.

Cracks typically mean you have some kind of movement occurring. Also, paper tape is stronger than the mesh stuff, you might see better results with paper if you end up retaping the joints.

http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-pictures.html

Old 11-30-11, 01:47 PM
I have a similar issue in my bath. Is it possible that the moisture from the shower has loosened the tape at the joint?

Old 11-30-11, 04:19 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Welcome to the forums bbblade!

That's definitely a possibility although the paint should have provided enough protection. Is the bath rm painted with flat paint instead of enamel? Is there an exhaust fan? is it used after every shower? More than likely you'll need to cut out the loose tape and redo it.

John, paint [except for elastromeric] will never hide or fill a crack. I agree with Mitch that the 'sticky' tape is problematic - you'll have better results with paper tape.