Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Bathroom Ceiling Patching Problem

MO

12-06-11, 06:23 AM   #1  
Bathroom Ceiling Patching Problem

I'm a novice in all things home improvement and repair. I patched a 1/2 inch hole in my bathroom ceiling with fiberglass mesh tape and drywall compound. The hole was the result of a small roof leak that was (allegedly) repaired. After patching, I primed the area around the patch with Kilz and repainted the entire bathroom ceiling. Two problems/questions:

1) There is water collecting on the ceiling after showers in the area of the patch/Kilz. It appears as a different "color" compared to the rest of teh ceiling and is wet to the touch.

2) The area I patched is sagging. I used the fiberglass mesh tape to try to avoid that problem. I tried to sand flush to the rest of the ceiling, but perhaps that was too far down.

I have pictures of that will help. So, should I still be concerned about having a roof problem? If not, how can I solve my ceiling problem? Thanks for any help you can offer. Gary

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

NC

12-06-11, 09:06 AM   #2  
Yes, a picture would probably help.

First I would make certain you do not still have a roof leak. If you suspect it, it is worth checking out. Since you primed only that one area with Kilz it is more water resistant than the ceiling around the patch. The hot moist air from the shower may be condensing on the ceiling. The patched area is not water resistant so the water stays on the surface while the un-patched area is more porous and the water is soaking up into the paint and ceiling.

Is the patched area truly sagging? If you push up on it does it move? Or, now that the ceiling is re-painted can you just see a hump where the repair is located.

It is possible that you patch is not adhering well to the ceiling. The fiberglass tape will help give strength to the patching compound to resist cracking but does nothing to help it stick to the ceiling.

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

12-06-11, 09:57 AM   #3  
http://www.doityourself.com/forum/li...-pictures.html

I agree with everything PD said I'm not overly fond of the 'sticky' tape. Generally paper tape that is embedded in joint compound does a better job. Also, did you paint the ceiling with flat latex? You always want to use latex enamel in bath rms with a shower.

btw - welcome to the forums Gary!

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

MO

12-06-11, 06:12 PM   #4  
I appreciate the information and kind welcome. Here are a couple more bits of informaiton... The Kilz was the Interior Oil-Base version, and the paint was Olympic Interior Latex Flat. So, the latex paint seems to be part of the problem. I've included a picture below of what it looked like after the shower. Coming home today, it looked fine -- except for some rough spots.

Pilot Dane, the specific area of the patch is indeed "wiggley" to the touch. I think all that is holding it in place now is the dried paint. It will push up when I exert a touch of pressure. Will drywall tape, rather than the mesh covering, help keep it flush and secure?

[IMG][/IMG]

I want to thank you both for your help. Any suggestions on how to solve the problems would be much appreciated. Gary

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

12-07-11, 04:57 AM   #5  
The Kilz primer will make the primed areas repel moisture better.

The patch shouldn't be 'wiggly' which makes me think the repair is still getting wet
The oil base primer should prevent moisture from affecting the repair so that means it might still be getting wet from above. Is there any attic access above the bath rm so you can inspect the top side? what kind of repair was done to the roof to correct the leak?

Group Moderator

NC

12-07-11, 05:20 AM   #6  
I would certainly check above for a leak. It looks like you have a skylight. I assume the leak was somewhere around the flashing?

If you attempt to re-repair the area using the mesh tape I would really work patch compound up through the mesh trying to form a big blob above that will mushroom over on top of the sheetrock in the ceiling. This will key the patch/plug mechanically to the sheetrock. Then allow it to dry thoroughly and apply another coat since the first big blow will probably shrink some as it dried. I would also prime the entire ceiling with the Kilz instead of just doing the repair area. This will help create a more uniform look.

MO

12-07-11, 05:52 AM   #7  
Thank you both again for the ideas and suggestions. The specific problem over the bathrooms was that there was a nail that popped-up on the shingle and created a drip. The roofer fixed that, but he also noted the flashing was done poorly by the original company and replaced that too (in addition to plugging the other couple of leaky areas). The current roofer was highly recommended on Angie's List, by the way.

I do have some limited access to the attic area to see the roof. I'll take a look and may call him back. I think it is also possible that my novice-status just did a poor job on filling the patch and creating a good, solid connection to the rest of the ceiling. So, I may just start from square one, repatch the area, re-prime the whole bathroom, and use enamel paint this time. It's all about learning.

Again, I appreciate your time. You've given me a lot of information to consider. Thanks!

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

12-07-11, 08:19 AM   #8  
The main thing is to verify that there is no leak! No matter how good [or bad] a job you do repairing the drywall, if it's still getting wet......

MO

12-07-11, 11:02 AM   #9  
Posted By: marksr The main thing is to verify that there is no leak! No matter how good [or bad] a job you do repairing the drywall, if it's still getting wet......
Absolutely! I'll see if I can easily get into the attic area. Otherwise, I'll call a professional or the roofer back. Have a great day!

Search this Thread