Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Paper peeling away from Sheetrock ceiling

CT

12-14-11, 04:11 PM   #1  
Paper peeling away from Sheetrock ceiling

Hey Guys,

I've got two ceilings where there are small sections of the paper peeling off the sheetrock. One in a bedroom and another in a dining room.

There are no water marks, so I don't suspect the problem is moisture related...

The house is 1940s cape.

That said, what can cause this, and what is the best way to fix the condition.

Thanks,

Bryan

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

TN

12-15-11, 05:04 AM   #2  
Not sure of the cause but to fix it you need to remove the loose paper, take a utility knife to cut the paper just past where it's loose [if you just pull it will keep coming off ] Then coat the bare gypsum with either an oil base primer or Zinnser's Gardz. Once the primer is dry apply a thin coat of joint compound.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

Group Moderator

WI

12-15-11, 06:40 AM   #3  
I can only think of moisture as a cause, never seen this otherwise except in cases where a mechanical reason was involved, like removing wallpaper.

Regardless, Mark gave you a good solution for fixing it. If you do and the problem goes away, I'd leave it at that.

KS

12-15-11, 07:43 AM   #4  
In the 1940's they plastered all houses then wallpapered every surface even the ceilings. So it's probably old wallpaper peeling off. Definitely scrape off everything you can. Then fill in will lightweight mud. If you do have plaster then you don't need to prime with gardz but if it is drywall then repair as stated above.

Group Moderator

WI

12-15-11, 08:09 AM   #5  
Nice, coops - I learned something here.

Thanks

Search this Thread