Durock-to-Sheetrock Transition

Old 12-20-11, 09:55 AM
Durock-to-Sheetrock Transition

What type of joint compound do I use to transition from Durock to regular sheetrock for shower walls? Durabond Setting-Type compound with alkali-resistant mesh tape? And do I use the same mesh tape for the other seams and patch with thinset?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-20-11, 11:50 AM
Group Moderator
How you are going to finish the space? I assume you are using Durock and tile for the entire wet shower area and then need to transition to sheetrock outside the shower.

I usually do not tape the joint between cement board and gypsum board. I have always done it so I have tile on the cement board and make the transition to painted wall at the edge of the tile. I install the tile right to the edge or slightly over the edge of the cement board and then run a bead of caulk to finish the joint where it meets the drywall.

Old 12-20-11, 01:36 PM
How you are going to finish the space? I assume you are using Durock and tile for the entire wet shower area and then need to transition to sheetrock outside the shower.
Yes, that is correct. If there isn't any advantage to taping and mudding those end joints, then I would rather not.

Old 12-20-11, 02:34 PM
I don't tape that joint either. I try to put the joint where I get at least 1/4 of a tile overlap and then just caulk where the tile meets the drywall.

Old 12-21-11, 08:35 AM
I try to put the joint where I get at least 1/4 of a tile overlap and then just caulk where the tile meets the drywall.
Sounds good to me. That's what I'll do. Thanks.

Search this Thread