wet sand or dry sand

Old 12-30-11, 04:25 AM
wet sand or dry sand

Just looking for pros and cons of wet sanding verses dry sanding, I'm remodeling kitchen and the dust is to much but i'm not sure if i'll get the same results wet sanding

Sponsored Links
Old 12-30-11, 05:51 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I assume by wet sanding you mean using a wet sponge. A wet sponge does a good job of smoothing out any rough areas and doesn't produce dust. I try to always use this method in an occupied dwelling. Dry sanding does a better job of leveling out the repair.

If you did a good job of applying the j/c, wet is fine but if you have dips and high spots - you'll need to dry sand.

Old 12-30-11, 06:58 AM
Group Moderator
I only dry sand but often hold the end of the running shop vac right below the sand paper to remove the dust.

Old 12-30-11, 12:41 PM
well i wish i could apply it better than what I do, it seems like i take off almost as much as I put on when I sand it off. I guess I need to perfect my applying skills

Old 12-30-11, 12:49 PM
Group Moderator
Sounds like you put the mud on like I do - lots of room for improvement.

Old 12-30-11, 05:57 PM
Yeah I'm learning that patience is the key, and to anyone reading this that does drywall jobs...I applaud you

Old 12-31-11, 04:37 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I'm not a drywall finisher but as a painter I've made a lot of drywall repairs. I've also hung and finished all the drywall in my house and several additions for friends/family. That said, I'd rather apply an extra coat of mud than do any extra sanding. It's a lot easier to apply more j/c than it is to take if off

Old 01-01-12, 05:42 AM
Good point marksr, it is a whole lot easier putting it on.Thanks for the advice everyone

Search this Thread