Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Please help me fix this cracked wall!

CAL

01-05-12, 07:36 AM   #1  
Please help me fix this cracked wall!

Hey guys,

Total rookie here, but I need to make a couple repairs before I move out of this place and don't have any friends IRL who can help with this sort of thing.

Here's a crack I put in the surface of the wall when a kitchen cart fell into the corner. I don't know the name of the material, but as you can see it's a white plastery uneven material with a medium gloss. Beneath that is some kind of metal corner that I hope I need to completely obscure, especially because it's bent up quite a bit.

Forgive my ignorance and feel free to correct me, and I'm sure I can get this done with some clear instructions!

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

WI

01-05-12, 07:59 AM   #2  
Welcome to the forums.

Looks like corner bead under there - this is an outside corner?

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

01-05-12, 03:17 PM   #3  
Hopefully you can massage the corner bead back to it's original [or close] shape. You'll need joint compound to fill it in. The smallest quantity you can buy it in is 1 gallon. You can buy spackling in pints or quarts but I don't know if it will work [dry/cure right] for that big of a repair. It will take a couple coats of j/c to get it right, then sand, prime and paint.

edit; I forgot about the texture For an area that small, I'd thin down some j/c [spackle will not work] and pat it on with a sponge.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

CAL

01-05-12, 08:45 PM   #4  
Had to google it, but yeap, I think that's an outside corner there.

Thanks for your reply Mark. I'd posted this question on another forum and they all panicked and nobody had much positive to say, but I expected the answer would be more like what you suggested.

Can anyone point me toward how I can match the paint so it's not obvious that any work was ever done there?

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

01-06-12, 03:01 AM   #5  
Matching the paint might prove difficult unless you know the brand and line of paint used. Color matching isn't all that hard but getting a match on the sheen is. Taking a penny sized chip of the painted j/c to most any paint store will get the color matched decent.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

Group Moderator

WI

01-06-12, 06:38 AM   #6  
I'll hit this from the landlord perspective: if you came to me and told me what happened and showed me your attempt to repair it, I would probably tell you not to worry about it and then tell you that I know what paint goes on the wall and that the painter I use has gotten pretty good at matching the texture on the walls in our units.

That said, fixing damage corner bead can be problematic, please proceed slowly and carefully on that.

Last edited by stickshift; 01-06-12 at 11:05 AM. Reason: typo

CAL

01-06-12, 10:21 AM   #7  
First I would talk to the landlord. Maybe this is not going to cost you as much as you are afraid it will and then he or they will have to decide what repair is acceptable.

But if you try to do it yourself try this. Put a screw on each side of the corner above and below the kink where the bead is still straight. Then try to straighten the kink. I think some visegrip pliers with a couple of sticks between the jaws to bring the kink into alignment might work. Don't pound on it. That will dislodge even more bead. Or try this: with a hack saw cut through the bead and the flanges above and below the kink and then use adhesive to install a new bead. Adhesive gives you some time to manipulate it into alignment. After it is stuck maybe a judicious screw or two will help hold it in place or chip out a little more joint compound and use joint tape and mud to lap over the flanges and the wall. Once you have the bead straightened, replaced or whatever then filling it in is easy and the suggestions above on the texture and paint are all good.

Search this Thread