Skim-Coating - a one-person DIY job?

Old 01-21-12, 08:59 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Skim-Coating - a one-person DIY job?

I recently bought a house built in 1905. Previous owners have done a lot of work, but somewhere along the line they got lazy. Anywhere there was a crack repaired in the existing plaster or a wall with sheetrock mudded, they didn't bother to sand the joint compound. Or even feather it well for that matter. And then they painted over it. Beige. Every wall and ceiling in the house. Beige.

As far as I can tell, I need to just skim coat the affected walls, prime and paint. I'm comfortable with mudding/sanding. Is this something I can realistically do on my own?

I've also heard I could mix some drywall compound with primer to thicken it up and use that for light coverage too...?

Old 01-22-12, 06:15 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

Adding joint compound to the paint will give somewhat of a texture effect, similar to rolling on thinned down j/c.

Skim coating isn't all that difficult. It helps to thin the j/c slightly - that helps it to flow better. If skim coating a whole wall is too big of a challenge for you, you could break it up into smaller sections. Once the entire wall is coated, dry and sanded - check for any bad spots, touch as needed, remove the dust and you are ready for primer and paint.

Old 01-22-12, 12:38 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Can I just go right on top of the paint or do I need to sand first?

Old 01-22-12, 03:55 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
Joint compound adheres fine to flat paint but if the paint has a sheen it's best to give it a quick scuff sand first.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: