Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Patching and Plastering
Reload this Page >

What is this ceiling texture, and how to replicate it?

What is this ceiling texture, and how to replicate it?

Old 03-14-12, 05:47 PM
Question What is this ceiling texture, and how to replicate it?

We have a small area with two different ceiling types, that I want to match up. Here is what the rest of the house looks like (that we'd like to match):

What is this called (appears to be plaster, but is there a specific pattern name?)

And what is the easiest way to replicate it to the other half of the ceiling in the same room? I don't know if I could match it exactly, so I'd try it first then if it looks different, just do the same thing on the 'good' half to make them match.

Other option (if all else fails) is to just skim coat it with joint compound and paint it flat (as was suggested to do on one of my last posts).

Thank you again!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-15-12, 05:11 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
That's not a texture I'm very good at matching

You should be able to thin down some j/c and then apply it with a trowel. If it doesn't come out right you can scrape it off while wet or sand it down when dry and try again.

Old 03-15-12, 07:27 AM
haha, not sure how it was even created, if someone does let me know. I don't see any trowel marks or half-moon patterns.

I sort of like it instead of popcorn or a flat ceiling.

Old 03-15-12, 09:32 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The texture might have been rolled on but the texture effect is done by a trowel skipping across the wet texture. Hopefully one of our plaster pros will have time to chime in with more/better info for you.

Old 03-15-12, 09:34 AM
rolled on like water-down the joint compound, and use a high-nap paint roller to apply it?

even if that's not the way this was done, i could always do it over both halves to make them match up. interesting.

Old 03-15-12, 09:42 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Stomp texture can be rolled and then stomped or the j/c texture can just be applied with the stomp brush. IMO it's quickest/easiest to roll it on and then do the texture. A large nap roller cover work best. The thickness or how thin the j/c determines how heavy/light the texture is. Your texture is some variation of thinned downed j/c with the trowel used to get that look.

Modern day knockdown texture is somewhat similar to what you have but on a smaller scale.

Old 03-15-12, 10:07 AM
this is awesome. just watched a couple videos on various techniques... looks like you either get a big stomp pad and stomp it after applying with a roller, or get a high nap (like 3/4") roller and roll it on slowly to get those peaks. most seem to use joint compound, with many watering it down just a bit.

then take a normal 10" joint knife and lightly scrape it across, cleaning the knife often. pretty neat, thank you again for the help in finding this!