Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Patching and Plastering
Reload this Page >

Fixing Plaster on walls around newly installed Patio Door - Need help!

Fixing Plaster on walls around newly installed Patio Door - Need help!

Old 03-14-12, 11:35 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Fixing Plaster on walls around newly installed Patio Door - Need help!

Hello All,

Back in October my buddy and I installed an new Jeld-wen Sliding patio door. The door went it very nicely and looks great! (Except for the interior walls - see photo)

So I need to figure out how to fix the walls. They have about a 1/4" (See where my finger is pointed) of plaster over the drywall. I have never had to fix plaster over drywall before and I am unsure what to buy? I have fixed plenty of drywall patches in walls etc. but never something to this extent.

Attached are a few pictures to show you what I am dealing with.

Let me know if you need more info

Thanks!
-Steve

Sponsored Links
Old 03-15-12, 06:22 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 153 Votes on 136 Posts
A plaster veneer over blueboard is standard for modern day plaster. Prior to that drywall strips were used in place of lath.

I'd use a narrow strip of drywall to fill in the areas with plaster and then use a setting compound like durabond to bring it level with the rest of the plaster wall.

Old 04-07-12, 11:37 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
wet area this well help it bond apply base coat to area before it takes a set. cut the thickness down by back troweling. (scraping the base coat with back of trowel) then the most important thing, make sure the base coat is cut below the existing wall allowing about 1/16 for finish. wet before finish dont run finish over existing wet troweling are texture to desired look. or better yet hire a journey plasterer if you can find one. good luck!