stucco repair problem

Old 04-10-12, 05:08 PM
stucco repair problem

I tried to repair my exterior california stucco where it meets the cement foundation and pieces have fallen off using target stucco patch. Unfortunatly the stucco patch material just kept falling off no matter how thick I made the slurry as some of the holes were rather large. Does anyone know how to effectivly do this type of repair. Are there any special precursor materials or bonding agents that I should be using so the stucco will not fall off? Is there anyway to anchor the stucco patch material in large vertical surface holes.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-10-12, 10:54 PM
Probably you are trying to pile too much material at once. Put up a picture or two and we can tell you more. Did the stucco come loose from the foundation or right above it?

Old 04-10-12, 11:40 PM
Stucco Problem Discription

The vertical plane of the california stucco surface sticks out about 1.5 inches beyond the vertical plane of the cement foundation. At the bottom edge, the stucco curves inward and comes to rest against the outside of the cement foundation. In places this curvature has broken off, allowing moisture and insects to possibly get inside the wall and exposing the wall's wood base plate in places. Should I fill the larger gaps with caulking or expansion foam in which I could try to insert some chicken wire so the stucco has something to grip on. Otherwise it just keeps falling out of the cracks when I try to apply it. My other option would be to forget about restoring the stucco curvature and simply seal the existing stucco with some kind of caulking but this would not look as good. I can not post a picture because I do not have any online web sites where I can store the image. To bad one can't just simply upload them directly to this forum!

Old 04-11-12, 04:30 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Welcome to the forums Frazzle!

http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-pictures.html

Old 04-11-12, 10:04 AM
I think I get the idea. There is woven wire or diamond mesh lath behind the stucco until it gets to the sill then the stucco was rolled down to the foundation. Stucco needs something to hang on. Also maybe the surface you are trying to bond the stucco to is dirty or has been previously sealed with silicone. You might have to break off some more stucco to get some raw stucco to bond to. I could fix this but it's hard to describe what to do. Try this. Break off the stucco up the wall a couple inches to where you find sound wire or lath. Do this without damaging the paper or felt underlayment. If the underlayment is below the sill line you are ok to add more lath. If it is above the sill line you have to break off enough stucco to get some new underlayment under the existing, not on top of it but behind it to get proper water repellance. You might have better luck slipping some light gauge metal flashing under the existing felt or paper than more paper. Then get some galvanized diamond mesh metal lath and cut it into strips the long way to give roughly the curve you want but recessed about a half inch from where you want the finished new surface to be. Mix up some mortar and press it well into the lath. Don't try to build it out all at once. Leave it rough like with a coarse brush or comb so more mortar has something to grip onto when it is set. Leave it a couple days to set and cure. Then add enough more mortar to bring it out to the finished surface. Float it with a red sponge float and leave it a couple days to set and dry then put on the finish coat to match the texture and color.

There is another way but it will be more work for you will have to do the whole house. Install new paper and lath as I described. You have to give the new work something to hang on and hold the weight. next at some level you are comfortable with install a 2 X 4 to the foundation. This must be straight and level. Use this and the existing wall above as a screed and fill the gap full of mortar. You should probably still do this in a couple operations. The top of the 2 X 4 forms the bottom of the new work. When it is well cured remove the lumber. You should have a nice straight edge of new work. Put on a finish coat to match the texture and color.

Old 04-11-12, 07:03 PM
Thanks Guys

Appreciate the feedback guys! This whole senario came about out of an effort to paint my house exterior but I don't want it to sidetrack into another major project. I think I might just settle for a half assed solution as I don't want to get into cutting out existing stucco, repapering, and remeshing. I found that type S mortar seemed to be much more viscous than the stucco mix and seemed to fill the holes and irregularities and hold without falling out. I can then apply a very thin coat of the stucco mix for texturing and appearance sake. Hopefully this will work out OK and I can get back to my primary task, painting. Again thanks for the great tips.