Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Removing Plaster Wall

CANADA

04-30-12, 05:34 AM   #1  
Removing Plaster Wall

Hi there,
I will be removing a plaster wall in my kitchen and this is my first wall removal. I am curious as to whether or not upon removal of the wall there will be a large opening on the ceiling and adjoining wall? I dont know if walls are added after the ceiling is complete or before which would leave a large unfinished space on the ceiling and other wall? if this is the case, is it repairable/patchable?
Any help is greatly appreciated.
thanks.

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

TN

04-30-12, 06:06 AM   #2  
The walls are framed before the plaster or drywall is installed. The void that will be exposed between the 2 rooms can be filled and made to match providing both ceilings are the same - slick finish or same texture.

.... but before you get started you need to determine if the wall is load bearing! You'll also need to deal with any mechanicals that are in the wall - electric, plumbing, etc.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

CAL

04-30-12, 01:29 PM   #3  
Something to know is that angles are usually a little fuller than the field of a ceiling. Not much but enough that often there is a hump if all you do is fill the void. So scrape some finish off beyond the old angle or break off a little more plaster so the repair is wider and you can ease any offset from one room to the next over a wider span thus making it a little less noticeable.

And before you begin yo should read this: Renovation, Repair and Painting Rule | Lead in Paint, Dust, and Soil | US EPA

CO

05-01-12, 04:49 PM   #4  
In addition to leaded paint

Plaster after about 1915 has asbestos. Prior to that they used horsehair. The auto drastically cut the supply of horsehair. I tore a bunch of this out last year in my house and had to spend $400 for testing so that I could dispose of it. Mine was 1902 and clean, but the upshot was that the dump never asked for my certificate. Go figure. No one here even mentioned leaded paint, which I am certain was in the mix.

CAL

05-01-12, 04:55 PM   #5  
That might be enough to scare anyone out of doing the job.

Search this Thread