Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Drywall anchor

VA

05-06-12, 12:07 PM   #1  
Drywall anchor

My wife bought mirrored fixture to hang on the wall. It weighs approximately 30 lbs and came with two plastic drywall anchors and screws. I screwed in and anchored the first screw. I asked my wife to measure the span of where the screws needed to be. I anchored and screwed using her measurement. Unfortunately her measurement was off by 1/4".

Would it be possible for me to just buy another drywall anchor and insert it 1/4" away from the existing anchor? I'm worried about the integrity of the anchor with the two holes being so close to each other.

Any input would be much appreciated. I'm trying to avoid removing the anchors, spackling, sanding, painting, and anchoring elsewhere.

Sponsored Links
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

05-06-12, 12:29 PM   #2  
Welcome to the forums, and drywall holes 101!! No, you will lose the integrity of the drywall by moving the hole that small a distance. I don't like those plastic thingys anyway. You may be better off getting an item called EZ Toggle. It will screw into the holes and pull tight against the inside of the sheetrock. If you drive them carefully toward the inside of both holes, you should make up the 1/4" difference. They are rated at 90#. Good luck with the placement.

VA

05-06-12, 04:56 PM   #3  
Thank you so much for the quick reply.

I learned a couple valuable lessons today: Double check your pencil marks if possible and double check your wife's work, lol.

Search this Thread