Patching sheetrock with no studs

Old 05-25-12, 11:37 AM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Patching sheetrock with no studs

I'm remodeling a bathroom in my condo (built in the 60s). The walls are thick sheetrock and have no studs (only long, thin metal strips).

The medicine cabinet is old and off-center. When I take it out, I will be left with a gaping hole that needs patching. With no studs, I think the best approach will be to build a frame behind the hole. However, I could use a bit of advice.

1. What should I use to cut the hole so that is more square (remember it is thick sheetrock so I don't think a drywall knife will do the trick)? Can I use my jigsaw?

2. In building the frame behind the hole, how much should the 2x pieces go beyond the hole? 3 inches? 6 inches? 1 inch? Not at all?

3. What type of screw should I use to fasten the frame to the wall? Will drywall screws work?

4. Can I use drywall to patch the hole or should I use sheetrock?

I'd appreciate any advice....thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-25-12, 01:52 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 330 Votes on 293 Posts
Do you have metal studs instead of 2x4s?

I'd cut some 1x or plywood longer than the hole and insert it, then screw it to the existing drywall. You can then screw the patch piece into that wood. Use drywall wood screws.

A jab saw will work on any thickness drywall although I've never seen drywall any thicker than 5/8" Are you sure it's drywall and not a plaster with a drywall lath? I've worked on a few houses where the drywall was double laminated.

A pic or two might help - http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-pictures.html

Sheetrock is a brand name of drywall - basically sheetrock and drywall is the same.

Old 05-25-12, 02:04 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
You might want to do a search for this...."sheetrock repair clips". There are several different brands...but they seem to work pretty well.

Old 05-25-12, 02:30 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
I'd screw some 1x2s behind to serve as structure, pretty similar to what Mark suggested.