Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Tiling A Wall in Bathroom - Substrate Question

PA

05-26-12, 10:34 AM   #1  
Tiling A Wall in Bathroom - Substrate Question

I plan on renovating a bathroom that currently has wood paneling in it (over plaster walls) by putting up a tiled wall. The bathroom does not have a wet wall shower, but a clawfoot tub instead. We plan on installing a shower attachment to the clawfoot tub, with a curtain that goes around the entire circumference of the tub.

Because the wall will not technically be "wet", should we still put in a cement board behind the tile, or can we tile directly over the plaster wall? Can the cement board be installed over top of the plaster, or must it go down to the studs/lathes behind the plaster?

I plan on putting cementboard down on the floor for new tile, as currently there is only linoleum.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Super Moderator

AZ

05-26-12, 10:49 AM   #2  
I would think you would be fine not using the CBU. Basically what you have is equivalent to a backsplash in a kitchen. Those are installed directly over sheetrock all the time.

Have you removed the paneling yet? You may wind up removing the plaster anyway if the paneling was glued in any way.

Vic
"I sometimes wonder how some people ever made it to adulthood..."

PA

05-26-12, 05:07 PM   #3  
Haven't closed yet let alone started work. Just trying to prioritize what we want to do first. Hoping that installing tiling and new vanities will modernize, in a retro way, the space and we can diy to save some cash. So in short, tile over plaster, if it stays intact is ok?

Super Moderator

AZ

05-26-12, 05:14 PM   #4  
No expert...but if the plaster wall is in good shape and firmly attached everywhere...I can't see why it wouldn't work.

How old is the house....old enough to have lath or is it possible it's sheetrock under a plaster coat?

It's been really slow today...and since you have plenty of time...I'm sure there will be more responses.

Vic
"I sometimes wonder how some people ever made it to adulthood..."

PA

05-26-12, 05:16 PM   #5  
House is 75 years old, though this bathroom is on the third floor in the finished attic/dormer space. I'm just assuming it's plaster as the rest of the house is. Wish I had considered all this work when I made my offer, I "overpaid" by the reno costs for sure...

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

05-27-12, 04:45 AM   #6  
The bath rm would have been originally painted with an oil base enamel, probably lead based. I don't know how well tile adheres to oil enamel [does fine with flat latex paint] Ideally you'd sand the paint and then install the tile. It might be possible to sand just the top layer of enamel [assuming it's been repainted in the last 30 yrs] but you do not want to sand into any lead based paint!! It might be best to wipe the wall down with a liquid deglosser and then apply a solvent based primer.
http://www.doityourself.com/forum/pa...latex-oil.html

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

Search this Thread