large holes in bathroom tile

Old 08-11-12, 06:05 AM
I
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
large holes in bathroom tile

I've SUCCESSFULLY removed two broken ceramic fixtures in the bathroom and I'm left with two - 2-1/2 inch holes in a hollow wall now.....hmmm...I want to put a new towel rack there, but need suggestions for mounting? I've placed would in the holes and there is no support for affixing the "filler" pieces. I've utilize liquid nails directly on the next fixtures, as well as quickcrete with no luck holding the towel bar rack ends secure (there's not enough tiling available to grab the fixture - it's only a bit larger than the holes themselves. Can you make any suggestions?

Old 08-11-12, 06:12 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Welcome to the forums! The wood you placed in the holes will have to span across the opening so you can fasten the wood to the adjacent sheetrock. If your hole is 2 1/2" square, make your 2x4 4 or 5" long. Wrap a wire around the middle of the 2x4 and leave out a good bit. This will be your "handle". Put PL Advanced on the tips of the 2x4, insert it in the hole and pull on the wire. Place another 2x4x6" on the outside and wrap your wire around it tightly. This will pull the 2x4 against the inside of your sheetrock. Leave it there overnight and let the glue dry. In the morning you can remove the outer 2x4 and wire. You will be left with a firm backer to apply your adhesive to hold your fixture.

Old 08-11-12, 11:55 AM
I
thanks - please clarify

Thanks for the great suggestion - however, I am unfamiliar with PL Advanced --- what is this? an adhesive of some kind? can someone please elaborate so that I know what I can add to the 2x4 to have it stick to the back of the tiles and hold firm?

Old 08-11-12, 01:50 PM
PL Advanced is an adhesive found in the caulking section of stores. Post some pictures of what you have, because my explanation was pretty clear as to how to do it normally. You may not have a normal situation. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...your-post.html

Old 08-11-12, 07:08 PM
Received 6 Upvotes on 5 Posts
I am unfamiliar with PL Advanced --- what is this? an adhesive of some kind?
Yes: LOCTITE[SUP]®[/SUP] PL PREMIUM[SUP]®[/SUP] FAST GRAB POLYURETHANE CONSTRUCTION ADHESIVE

what I can add to the 2x4 to have it stick to the back of the tiles and hold firm?
Your new blocking needs to adhere to the back of the wallboard or backer board that the tile is mounted on, not to the back of the tile.

Old 08-13-12, 06:42 AM
I
bathroom holes - pictures

I've added some photos for help clarifying the corrective action suggested. There are two holes from the towel bar - one hole (on left) has a side support in the hole and one to the right of the inside --- the second hole has NO support behind the tile and only insulation to the siding basically.

Attached Images      
Old 08-13-12, 12:53 PM
Same instructions. Just make the 2x4 narrower on the left one so it will slip past the stud you see sticking out.
Maybe this cursory drawing will help.

Attachment 2597

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: