Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Removing popcorn and setting up smooth ceilings

NC

09-19-12, 12:00 PM   #1  
Removing popcorn and setting up smooth ceilings

Hi all,

I just bought our first home and the first order of business was removing the popcorn ceiling. This was rather easily done since it wasn't painted. I am now left with exposed drywall. The joint tape and screws were done very well and the ceiling is for the most part flat.

I am now at the decision if I should skim coat and prime or just prime. We plan on having white ceilings. I purchased a PC 7800 to assist with sanding and plan to resell it after done with the house.

SW is having a 40% off sale this weekend and I would like to have a list ready for purchasing the necessary materials.

I want to get as close to level 5 as possible but don't own a sprayer. I could rent one and then use SW Builder's solution primer/surfacer.

It is just me doing the whole house and anything to make my life easier at a reasonable expense is something to look into.

Thanks for any input!

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

WI

09-19-12, 12:21 PM   #2  
Welcome to the forums

Are you planning to texture the ceilings or do you want them smooth? If the former, I'd probably go ahead but I would probably skim coat if the latter.

NC

09-19-12, 12:28 PM   #3  
Just keeping the ceilings flat. After I skim coat and smooth it with the sander, should I prime or use self priming paint?

If I have to prime should I prime all walls as well to keep it consistent?

Thanks

Group Moderator

WI

09-19-12, 12:34 PM   #4  
I use separate primers and paints, I think they have different purposes served by different ingredients and therefore mixing the two reduces the quality of both. Opinion only, take it for what it's worth.

I do like to prime over joint compound, especially if there's some bare or painted sheetrock as well to ensure the substrates all absorb the paint at the same rate. If you are only covering paint on the walls and it's in good condition, priming would not be necessary (unless you were covering oil based paint with latex).

NC

09-19-12, 01:25 PM   #5  
Do I seal the drywall and newly applied skim coat before priming? I am starting off with a bathroom and don't want any mildew etc

Group Moderator

WI

09-19-12, 01:37 PM   #6  
Nope, your paint will take care of that for you (as long as you aren't talking about drywall inside the shower or something like that), just use a paint meant for kitchens and bathrooms.

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

09-19-12, 03:32 PM   #7  
Latex enamel is bare minimum for a bath rm. A K&B paint is better because it has extra mildewcide. Any raw drywall or joint compound needs to be primed. If you aren't going to texture the ceilings you need to go over them with j/c, not necessarily a skim coat but it does need to be fairly slick.

I doubt you can rent an airless that can pump unthinned hi-build primer..... and if you thin it, it's just another primer. If you do decide to spray, make sure everything is covered up. The overspray can travel all thru the house - out windows too.

A primer/paint combo might be ok on the ceiling but it will likely take 2 coats anyway and like Mitch, I prefer separate primer and paint. If you skimp anywhere on paint, let it be the ceiling. You want something that will wear/wash well on the walls!

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

Search this Thread