Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Patching and Plastering
Reload this Page >

Plastering & Patching - lost art even 25 years ago

Old 10-08-12, 04:40 PM
B
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post

I used Elmer's Glue on a 1 sq ft area of a wall when I was a kid. About 25 years ago, a painter and his crew "fixed" it and painted over it as shown in the photo.

A few years later, plaster fell from a large part of the living room ceiling, which was a big problem in many apartments my building, rumored to be due to the original plasterers not using primer. The regular building plasterer was on vacation or something and a substitute "fixed" it in the same manner as the painters. The regular plasterer came before the painting and improved it but now it looks like a leak instead of a bad plastering job.

I think I'll chisel away some of the higher spots on the wall before patching it with something.

Attached Images  
Old 10-08-12, 06:40 PM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
Kind of looks like the plasterer was plastered when he did that plaster job.

Old 10-09-12, 03:22 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
I agree with Furd. I'd scrape it down and then apply a coat of joint compound or durabond to dress it up.

Old 10-09-12, 04:32 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
I don't know how the plaster is installed in your apartment, but commonly it was put over wooden lath. The lath had gaps in it so the plaster would squeeze through the other side and mushroom out. That mushroom is what kept the plaster on the wall. Ceilings are notorious for losing their plaster before the walls. It is from the vibration of all those floor steps over the years breaking off those mushrooms on the other side of the lath. A couple of hard steps after that happens and down it comes!

Old 10-09-12, 09:30 PM
B
In my apartment it's over wire mesh but it's the multi-layered type so it's actually on some cement looking stuff (forgot what it's called) and the cement-looking stuff goes through the mesh. The plaster fell from the cement looking stuff. I never actually saw the ceiling mesh, but I guess it's there.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: