Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

spackling is frustrating

NY

10-26-12, 08:07 AM   #1  
spackling is frustrating

i havnt spackled much. I am spackling a room now. My question is after the first coat other then using the spackle knife to scrap off the chunks, do i sand in between each coat. Or just sand after the 3rd coat?.. i was told after each coat i could just wipe down with a damp cloth. What do you guys recommend.

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

WI

10-26-12, 08:32 AM   #2  
OK, so you actually mean joint compound and not spackle, right?

If so, you only sand after the final coat but you may need to knock down the occasional ridge or bump with your knife before then. If not, you're using the wrong product for the job and should switch.

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

10-26-12, 09:16 AM   #3  
A lot depends on how well you apply the j/c. Normally the final coat is the only coat that gets sanded but IF the j/c is applied poorly [humps and dips] it might need sanding sooner. Always use a sanding pole or any device that holds the sandpaper flat. Just folding the paper and using your hand tends to follow the dips instead of leveling them out. Don't sand into the paper - add more j/c if you have to sand that deep.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

NY

10-26-12, 02:00 PM   #4  
Rubbing with a damp cloth may be all you need but I'm not sure if that's done on full walls. If you're just patching an area, you may not need to sand at all.

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

10-27-12, 04:54 AM   #5  
i was told after each coat i could just wipe down with a damp cloth
Actually a damp sponge works better. Basically what you are doing is rewetting the j/c and smoothing it out. A flat sponge is easier to control than a rag which might remove/move the j/c unevenly.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

Temporarily Suspended

NY

10-27-12, 10:16 AM   #6  
Most beginners have to sand between coats because they put they make the compound too thick. I wet the tape first, so the compound slides on easy & thin. That way I don't feel like I'm trying to pull a garbage truck, down the block. You will still see some of the tape. Let it dry. Then the next two coats, use a wider putty knife. Finally, use a wet sponge instead of sand paper.

Search this Thread