Patching Paper Tear in Wall Near Window

Old 11-09-12, 09:59 AM
Question Patching Paper Tear in Wall Near Window

Hey everyone. I'm looking to be a DIYer from this point on, love it but need to learn more. I just bought a condo built in the 70s. All of the walls look fine except that around one window, there are tears in the paper of the wall leading from the window out to the corner of the wall.

I'm attaching a picture of one of the tears so you see what I mean. It's like a line in the paper that opened up and there are three of these.

Name:  seam.jpg
Views: 734
Size:  25.0 KB

I don't know if the walls are plaster or drywall. From what I read here, because of when the place was built, it's probably drywall. I also read here from other similar topics that I should probably just use joint compound to patch this up (or is spackle enough?).

What I'm wondering about is if the tears happened because of some sort of shifting in the building or window or something since they're lines and only surrounding that one window and if that means I should be safe and also use tape over the lines as well to reduce the chances of it opening up in those spots again?

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited by cyberphonics; 11-09-12 at 11:10 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-09-12, 10:13 AM
Group Moderator
Without knowing why this happened, I would remove use joint compound and paper tape to repair this and then keep an eye on it. If the issue recurs, then you know a more thorough investigation is warranted (if it's not already).

Old 11-09-12, 11:15 AM
Thanks Mitch! Also, I've never sanded compound down before. What grit should I be using to sand everything down smooth by hand?

Old 11-09-12, 11:20 AM
Group Moderator
Use your drywall knife to knock down big ridges and bumps. You can sand or use a wet sponge to smooth the drywall, your call. If you sand, it does end up needing to be relatively smooth, I usually end about 150 grit.

Old 11-09-12, 11:34 AM
Perfect! Thanks so much for the help. Will definitely keep an eye on it to see if it happens again.

Old 11-09-12, 01:56 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
There is a little bit of tape in the corner that has lifted up - you need to cut that little bit out. Just applying j/c over will just compound the issue. Just so your clear on the taping/finishing process; it generally takes 3 coats, the tape embedded in j/c and after drying 2 more coats each coming out further than the other. Usually only the final coat needs sanding. You want to use a sanding pole or sanding block so the sandpaper will level out the j/c.

Once that part is done you'll need to texture the repair. You have an orange peel texture. You can either buy an aerosol can of texture or thin down some j/c to about paint consistency and pat it on with a sponge.

Old 11-14-12, 07:38 AM
Thanks for the tips! I wondered about how many coats would do the trick. Will make sure I cut out that piece on the end that's lifted up and get the surface down flat before starting.