Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Patching and Plastering
Reload this Page >

same popcorn stuff, why can't they do it right in the first place

same popcorn stuff, why can't they do it right in the first place

Old 01-29-01, 06:47 PM
mik_mik
Visiting Guest
Red face

This one is directly related to mike3347 question right below, I am doing the same thing and after trying my skills in the closet, I went into the open space of a bedroom. Boy, what a difference, if ceiling in the closet looks just a little out of whack, the one in the bedroom looks like bunch of waves. Obviously when the popcorn was on the ceiling it looked bad but ok, now it's horrible. Does anyone knows how to smooth out the unevenness of the ceiling, looks like wherever drywall was attached to the joists, there is an indent, the rest of the sheeting is sagging towards the floor. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Old 01-30-01, 05:02 AM
mikejmerritt
Visiting Guest
mik_mik, I think you have stumbled into the answer to "Why can't they do it right in the first place". Acoustical(popcorn)ceilings are cheap, fast and hide a world of sin. You will need to bed and skim the ceilings to get a slick finish...Mike

Old 01-30-01, 05:17 PM
Visiting Guest
Mik Mik
from this point you may want to think about just tearing out the drywall, and installing new sheetrock, I would use 5/8's and check into renting a drywall lift, makes it a lot easier to install, I would also use 1 1/2" screws too, then tape and mud add two more coats of mud using a larger knife with each coat of mud, sand to a smooth finish then prime and paint good luck
Frank
Frankawitz Custom Painting &
Plastering Repairs

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: