Plaster or drywall over plywood?

Old 02-19-13, 08:45 PM
BGC
Plaster or drywall over plywood?

I am installing a tankless water heater in the utility room in place of the tank water heater.

The wall where the unit will be mounted is partially open. There are three exposed vertical 2x4 studs - left/center/right.

The manufacturer suggested mounting the Tankless to a piece of 5/8" plywood that is attached to the studs.

My question has to do with the finished look of the wall.

After mounting the plywood should I:
1. Plaster over it then prime/paint?
2. Cover the plywood with 1/4" or 3/8" drywall then prime/paint?
3. Use shims to bring the plywood even with the existing wall - plaster the edges and then prime/paint the plywood to match?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-20-13, 04:10 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I wouldn't apply plaster or joint compound directly to the plywood - it may not stay adhered long term

Does the manufacture specify whether or not the water heater needs to be attached directly to the plywood? or is it ok to use long enough screws to go thru the drywall and into the plywood? Assuming this is a utility room, I'd think painting the plywood would be good enough

Old 02-20-13, 01:14 PM
BGC
The tankless unit has 5" x 2" mounting brackets at top and bottom. The tankless does not have to be directly attached to the plywood. Manufacturer confirmed drywall between the tankless and stud is OK. Installation instructions say the center hole in each bracket should go into a vertical 2x4 stud. You then add a screw to the left and right of center on each bracket. Manufacturer suggested 5/8" plywood when I questioned their installation instructions for hanging their 75lb unit. They assume there is blocking in addition to the studs to allow the additional screws to go into wood.

Old 02-20-13, 02:05 PM
Group Moderator
Put recessed cleats on the inside surface of the studs recessing them the thickness of the plywood. Attach the plywood flush with the studs and cover with Sheetrock. Rip a 2X4 in half for your cleats.

Old 02-23-13, 02:34 PM
BGC
That's a great idea. 3 studs are to be covered with the plywood.
I'll have to cut a 5/8" notch in the middle stud the length of the plywood to make it work.

Old 02-23-13, 02:41 PM
Group Moderator
I'll have to cut a 5/8" notch in the middle stud the length of the plywood to make it work.
Not really. Just use a piece of plywood on each side of the center stud.

Search this Thread