Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Need help with bad DIY tape, mud and texture job

CAL

02-21-13, 08:14 PM   #1  
Need help with bad DIY tape, mud and texture job

My husband and I added 2 rooms onto our house, we taped and mudded the Sheetrock, sanded til we thought we were good and applied orange peel texture, primer and paint. As you can see from the photo things did not end well. Can we retexture over it or is that not an option? What is the best plan of action?

Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

02-22-13, 04:23 AM   #2  
Welcome to the forums! Generally taping sheetrock joints is a 3 step process. Number one being applying the tape with a 6" knife and a bed coat of mud. This will level out the indentations provided for the tape in the manufacture process. Don't sit there and work the mud. Once it has dried you can usually take a 9" knife and slide over the previous mud and smooth it out and apply your second coat, which will be wider. Follow that with a 12" knife and a final sanding on the edges and your job should be good.

I tend to think your job was done with a narrow knife and you relied too much on sanding to smooth it out. You may be able to recoup this by using a wider knife and mud to feather it out and make the joint less noticeable, then retexture.

Let us know if you have more questions or post pictures of the attempt so we can see what you see.

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

02-22-13, 04:50 AM   #3  
Ya, you'll need to float the joint compound out further along the joints, sand, reapply j/c as/if needed, remove sanding dust and then retexture the areas with new mud.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

Forum Topic Moderator

VA

02-22-13, 05:36 AM   #4  
I would take a 12" knife and feather the area out 9 to 10 inches on each side of the tape. This will help obscure the "bump" that the tape exposes and change it more into a gradual arc. Once dry, sand down the edges to be even with the depth of the texture. Then take a damp sponge and rub the 3 inches or so at the edge of the patch to further blend the patch into the existing texture. Apply additional orange peel and feather the orange peel out beyond the patch area by at least 3 feet each side. This will prevent the look of a heavy application of orange peel look in the general area of the patch. THEN (important step) take a light and hold it against the wall and shine it across the patch and look for inconsistencies and areas to spend a little more attention too. It will help prevent the surprise like you got the last time you painted. Fortunately, orange peel is pretty forgiving and you should have better success now that you know what not to do.

BTW - use a sanding PAD, not a sanding block. The pad spreads the sanding area out further to prevent you from sanding too much in one area.

CAL

02-22-13, 01:54 PM   #5  
Thank you! I now know what I will be doing this weekend

Search this Thread