Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Different sheen after using joint compound

VA

02-23-13, 06:37 PM   #1  
Different sheen after using joint compound

Whenever I fix a hole in drywall, sand smooth and paint, the sheen on the repaired area is much more smooth than the rest of the wall. I there a trick to matching the wall sheen/texture? This is on a smooth/semi-smooth wall. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

TN

02-24-13, 03:57 AM   #2  
The difference in texture is why those areas appear to be shinier. Even slick finish walls get a roller stipple type texture after multiple coats of paint have been rolled on. Thin down some joint compound and pat it over the repair area with a sponge or buy a can of orange peel texture and spray it over the repairs. It may take some experimenting to get it right. The thinner the j/c, the lighter the texture.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

CAL

02-24-13, 08:25 PM   #3  
I do acres of patching. I don't paint. I tell customers to prime the patches, paint the patches a couple of times then paint the whole wall or ceiling. If the patch is small and the wall and ceiling very large maybe they can get by painting the patch a couple times and blending the last coat onto the existing. I seldom see the finished work. I have had no complaints.

Group Moderator

WI

02-25-13, 05:37 AM   #4  
It take practice to match texture but it's not rocket science. Do you know what kind of texture you have on the walls? Also, while I admit I run paranoid, I always prime joint compound before painting to limit sheen differences in the paint because the wall absorbed it at different rates.

Search this Thread