Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

What do I mix to get a sand/perlite texture

FL

03-08-13, 06:16 PM   #1  
What do I mix to get a sand/perlite texture

What are the materials or what do I need to make the mix, I have the same project in a wall on a outside structure, thankyou

Separated from Reproducing sand/perlite texture.

Last edited by Nashkat1; 03-08-13 at 09:48 PM.

Sponsored Links

VA

03-08-13, 09:51 PM   #2  
Welcome to the forums!

I've moved your post to its own thread so that the answers to your question won't get mixed in with those in the earlier thread. We have some pros here who should be along to help you out soon.

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

03-09-13, 03:14 AM   #3  
I haven't applied sand texture in a long time but we used to just add the sand texture mix to the paint.
Are you sure what you have is sand texture and not sand finish stucco? Pics might be helpful - http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-pictures.html

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

CAL

03-09-13, 03:37 AM   #4  
I've had good success with a mixture like this
1 box All Purpose joint compound : one gallon latex or acrylic paint : enough fine sand to make about 7 -8 gallons of material. Adjust the consistency with water to roll it on with a shaggy roller. Roll it all one direction then double back as soon as you get the area covered but going at right angles in the direction. ON ceilings go east - west then north -south or vice versa. On walls go up down then horizontal.

I use plaster sand run through a window screen or fine bagged sand. Finer sand = finer texture.

Oh, I just read this is an outside structure. Cancel all that.

What is the surface you want to cover? Wood? Masonite? Masonary?

FL

03-10-13, 10:44 PM   #5  
Re

This is a picture of what I'm looking for, and the walls are made out of concrete, I don't think I'll need sand whatsoever , but I want it to give me the same look as the picture, thank y'all

Attached Images

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

03-11-13, 05:22 AM   #6  
Is the texture real abrasive if you drag your hand across it? If so, it's probably a sand finish stucco, if not, it might be a texture paint. Are your walls poured concrete or concrete block?

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

CAL

03-11-13, 10:10 AM   #7  
You need fine sand. Is the wall painted already? Is the concrete new? Blocks?
If the wall is not painted you can use a Portland cement mixture. Don't try to invent your own when there are many proven products available. If it is painted already the add sand to paint. Experiment on the ratio. Yes if you want you can use perlite in lieu of sand. Your picture looks like a very fine sprayed or rolled finely aggregated material -- maybe in the paint or maybe in the texture material.

Search this Thread