Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Fixing exposed tape in wall seams

MI

03-25-13, 05:17 PM   #1  
Fixing exposed tape in wall seams

I'm preparing to re-paint our bedroom, and have discovered some exposed mesh tape in a few places. Wondering what is the recommended method for fixing these places before proceeding with the painting. There's also one seam where it's cracking, but nothing is exposed - yet. House was built in the late 60's. Not sure if the existing paint job is the original one or not. We've only lived here for the past 3 years.

Pictures attached.Name:  DSC08265.jpg
Views: 973
Size:  16.0 KB

Name:  DSC08266.jpg
Views: 348
Size:  16.2 KB

Name:  DSC08268.jpg
Views: 312
Size:  8.8 KB

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

TN

03-26-13, 04:55 AM   #2  
The adhesive mesh tape has only been around for 25 yrs or so - I doubt that's the original paint

Ideally you would cut out the failing tape and replace it with paper tape. You might be able to get by with just coating the tape with a setting compound like durabond. The crack should be taped and finished also but again, you might be able to get by with scratching out the crack a little a filling it with durabond.

Is the wall textured? The top picture shows a brushed texture but it might just be from a poor application of paint with a brush.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

MI

03-26-13, 07:48 AM   #3  
Yes, the wall is textured.

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

03-26-13, 09:49 AM   #4  
While the top pic looks like a brush texture the other 2 pics look like they might be orange peel ..... but my eyesight could be deceiving me

A brush texture can be achieved by thinning down joint compound to around paint consistency and trying to duplicate the pattern with a brush. Orange peel can either be bought in an aerosol can or again use thinned down j/c and pat it on with a sponge. Thicker mud = heavy texture, thin mud = fine texture.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

Group Moderator

WI

03-27-13, 08:08 AM   #5  
The ultimate solution is to replace the inferior mesh tape with the superior paper tape (I know, not intuitive that the paper tape is actually stronger). As Mark said, durabond over the current mesh tape might suffice but I would not try that personally.

MI

03-28-13, 02:26 PM   #6  
The nature of the texture in most places is overlapping curves. Not sure if it shows up in either of the pictures though. We're actually not too fond of the texturing so I'm probably going to sand the walls down before painting.

Will using paper tape minimize the chances of it cracking again in the future? Do I need a special type of joint compound or will the regular stuff work?

Group Moderator

WI

03-28-13, 02:51 PM   #7  
Regular joint compound is fine with paper tape and yes, using paper tape will reduce the chance of the crack coming back.

Search this Thread