Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Spackle, Plaster or Joint Compound?

03-29-13, 06:58 PM   #1  
Spackle, Plaster or Joint Compound?

Hi All

I am confused as to which is the best to patch up these two walls here. I don't need the best or long lasting solution, just the one that will work and make it look like an even surface.

What should I apply before painting over? Spackle? Plaster? Joint Compound?

Thanks

Attached Images

Sponsored Links

WA

03-29-13, 09:34 PM   #2  
It appears (correct me if I'm wrong) that the problem exists in the window jamb sheet rock. Why not tear it out and replace with new jamb casing? What is causing the problem??? That seems to be the bigger issue.

03-29-13, 09:42 PM   #3  
I just need to patch it up, the bigger problem isn't mine to worry. Can you suggest? I think I am going to go with plaster? It seems to be the same material that is there right now.

Thanks

WA

03-29-13, 10:11 PM   #4  
One additional concern... Is the black stuff that I see at the joint, near the sill, mold??? If so, patching it up will not solve the problem

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

03-30-13, 05:38 AM   #5  
I'd scrape off all the loose and then apply a coat or two of a setting compound like Durabond. If after scraping you find what remains to be chalky you'll need to prime it first or mist some water on it so the mud will adhere.

This looks like a bath rm application. Priming the window return and applying a latex enamel for the top coat will go a long ways towards preventing a reoccurance.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

NJ

03-30-13, 05:51 AM   #6  
Is this a window inside a shower?

Group Moderator

WI

03-30-13, 09:52 AM   #7  
Why are you only looking to patch this up and not actually fix it?

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

03-30-13, 09:57 AM   #8  
Mitch, if the damage is from the shower, patching and painting with enamel should fix it for the most part although tile on the return would be better. If the moisture is coming from the outside, the damage can return. Might be as simple as caulking the window on the exterior.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

Group Moderator

WI

03-30-13, 10:05 AM   #9  
Mark - you could be right but the line, "the bigger problem isn't mine to worry" has me wondering. Could be a perfectly good explanation.

Search this Thread