Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

blending plaster and drywall

PA

04-24-13, 05:41 PM   #1  
blending plaster and drywall

I am remodelling a powder room with plaster walls and ceiling. In order to do the electrical work, I am considering removing a 3 ft by 4ft piece of the plaster ceiling then replacing it with drywall of the same thickness (or maybe two pieces of 3/8 inch drywall to make up the 3/4 inches of plaster). What are the issues involved in finishing the corners of the plaster walls and drywall ceiling and the ceiling joint where plaster meets drywall? Is it basically just like finishing drywall butt joints?

Thanks for your help

Don

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

TN

04-25-13, 03:58 AM   #2  
When patching plaster with a piece of drywall it's always best to have the drywall just shy of the plaster level. That way you can build up the mud a hair and give yourself a better chance of making the repair invisible. You can either double up on the drywall or shim it out.

Taping it like drywall gives you a little insurance but isn't necessary if using plaster or a setting compound like durabond. I like to use durabond on plaster repairs as it's harder than regular j/c and is easy to use for those of us that don't have plaster experience. If you use the regular ready mix joint compound you will need to use tape!

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

PA

04-25-13, 05:01 AM   #3  
Thanks so much for the advice.

Any additional thoughts on the ceiling/wall corner? It seems like this could be problematic since there is no beveling of the edge as there would be with a regular drywall installation. Also, would you use tape there even with durabond?

Thanks

Don

Forum Topic Moderator

VA

04-25-13, 05:40 AM   #4  
I use tape on all repairs. Any movement in the wall will crack out the seam. If you use paper tape with durabond, wet it first before you apply it to the seam. Durabond dries so quickly, you sometimes do not get a good bond before it sets up. Dip the tape in water and ring it out between your fingers. It should be damp but not dripping. Set it in a relatively thick layer of mud and immediately squeegee it out leaving a thin layer of mud with the tape.

I usually cut furring strips to the size needed for the repair and apply them to the studs/ceiling joists. Then 1/2" drywall and finish. As Mark mentioned, set the drywall slightly lower than the plaster (1/16" or less if you are good). Do the corner the same as you would any repair/installation.

Group Moderator

WI

04-25-13, 09:36 AM   #5  
No bevel means a butt joint which just means you have to float the compound over a wider area to hide the joint.

Search this Thread