Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Patching and Plastering
Reload this Page > Any Experience out There With Aerosol Ceiling Texture??

Any Experience out There With Aerosol Ceiling Texture??

Old 05-21-13, 02:28 PM
Any Experience out There With Aerosol Ceiling Texture??

I am repairing some water damaged drywall around a skylight shaft. I textured (medium to heavy orange peel)the shaft walls with solvent based Homax and it worked great, as always. However, for the ceiling portion I could only find Homax in a water based aerosol and it just didn't perform very well. It splatters on ok but then seems to flow out, not leaving much orange peel effect. Is ceiling texture available in a solvent based aerosol, or is my technique lacking somehow?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-21-13, 02:57 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Regular orange peel is thinned down joint compound that is put into a hopper gun and actually "spit" onto the wall with compressed air. If you have a compressor (or access to one) you can get a small hopper gun relatively inexpensively. Joint compound is available by the quart.

For small patch jobs, I throw this one on the truck.

Sears.com

Old 05-21-13, 04:20 PM
Thanks Cz

I don't have a portable compressor, so I really need to go the aerosol route. This job is less than 3 sq ft. I am not a pro texture guy, but have done hundreds of repairs. I have always had excellent results with the Hamex oil based products, but the water based ceiling spray seems too watered down. The aerosols fit my world of small jobs, but at $18/can they are not affordable for any large area. This is the first time I have ever tried the ceiling aerosol.

Old 05-21-13, 04:21 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I rarely ever use the aerosol cans of texture but I think they also have an oil base version.
I normally thin down j/c and use a hopper gun and air compressor. For small areas you can pat the the thinned down j/c on with a sponge to get a decent looking texture. It takes practice to match textures as constituency, air pressure and application techniques all play a part in how the texture looks.

Old 05-21-13, 05:41 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
As a handy man, which is how I started, you look for opportunities like this to expand you ability to address homeowner issues by purchasing new tools. This is a perfect opportunity. Yes, you may take a loss on this job, but you have purchased a new tool that will make you money in the future. Your Handle says Handyman 663. You have hinted that you are in the business..... time to purchase the tools of the trade that will get you there. An Air compressor is a standard given item that you should have.

Old 05-22-13, 06:41 AM
I am sort of in the business. I am a retired engineer and 68 yrs old. My work vehicle is a 98 Grand Caravan, stuffed to the gills. Everything in there has to earn its keep and I wouldn't use a compressor enough to justify it. That is the problem with doing almost everything, but not mastering anything. I have spent a lifetime being a DIYer and accumulating tools. I just don't plan to expand much at my age. Thanks for the advice.

Old 05-22-13, 07:00 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Other uses for an air compressor aside from texturing:

-Checking and filling the air in your tires
-Blowing dust out of other tools
-Blowing dust off wood that you are sanding down for a project (better than a tack cloth)
-You will forget how to use a hammer if you get the nail guns to go with it
-If I work under a house that is particularly dusty, I spray myself down to get some of the dirt off of my cloths
-I got a flat tire in the middle of nowhere - found out my spare was also out of air - Filled my spare with air and off I went (very happy I charged it before the trip)
-Cleaning coils on refrigeration units
-Clearing clogged condensate lines from HVAC units
-Spraying finish on cabinets
-etc

I'd have one even if I wasn't in the business

Old 05-22-13, 09:23 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I couldn't imagine not only at least one air compressor.

Old 05-22-13, 03:28 PM
I have a 4 HP compressor in my garage. I am just not going to add a portable to my van, which would crowd out something else. I suppose I could get a small air tank for small texture jobs. This thread started with my being surprised at the poor performance of aerosol ceiling texture while the wall stuff has given me excellent results.

Old 05-22-13, 05:32 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Sorry 663, we don't do aerosol so we aren't much help. Motto - do it right, no short cuts, happy customers. I have a dedicated customer base that always calls and is willing to wait to get on my calendar. All I can offer is the right way to address your situation, Coming from a contractor's point of view.

Old 05-23-13, 04:33 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I have 2 tankless air compressors in the barn, I assume they still sell them. They only put out about 20-25psi. We used to use them yrs ago for spraying texture and metal front doors although you must use a bleeder type gun. The unit is a little smaller than 1 gallon of paint.

Search this Thread