Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Patching and Plastering
Reload this Page > Repairing single wall tile and backer board around bathroom sink

Repairing single wall tile and backer board around bathroom sink

Old 06-09-13, 03:41 PM
Repairing single wall tile and backer board around bathroom sink

Hi,

My friend bought a house where someone had removed a single tile and the backer board behind to run a pipe from a pedestal sink. Can someone tell me a coarse of action he could take to repair it? If more than one tile was removed around the hole, could the backer be repaired?

Thanks!

Attached Images   
Sponsored Links
Old 06-09-13, 04:04 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Welcome to the forums! The backer can be repaired pretty easily. It is the tile that will be the tricky one, since that pvc fitting runs across the opening. If you change that fitting to a brass one, you may have a better shot at it.

Undo the nut and pull it back onto the pipe out of the way. Undo the pipe in the ptrap and take that pipe out. Remove the fitting and replace it with a brass one and reinstall it. The brass fitting will have a smaller less obvious profile.

Cut a piece of plywood about 1 1/2" wider than that opening and as tall as it is from the top of the pipe to above the edge of the tile plus 1". At the home center stores you will find Loctite Quickgrab in a tube. Put quickgrab on the three outer edges of the plywood, insert it in the hole and pull back on it with your fingers inserted under the board. It will stick almost immediately. Once that has been given time to tack off, cut a piece of 1/2" cbu the size of the opening side to side, and top of the pipe to the top edge. With your quickgrab friend, put some on the back of the cbu and place it on the plywood. Don't push too extra hard, just enough to set the cbu on the plywood flush to the other cbu.

Now, although you have an opening on either side of the pipe, you can cut your tile as close to fitting around the fitting as possible and quickgrab it to the cbu. Don't worry about the lower part of the hole. Once the tile and cbu are in place you can grout the tile and fill in around the fitting slightly. Don't overdo it as you will have to (some day) make a repair.\

I hope it didn't confuse you more than me

Old 06-09-13, 04:24 PM
Wink Thanks

I'm not sure I follow completely, but I will stew on it a bit. If you can provide any detailed stick drawings that might help...LOL. Thanks for the prompt reply.

Old 06-09-13, 04:32 PM
I know, I could have done it the span it took me to explain it. Sorry. Do not laugh at my drawings. Maybe this visual will help.

Name:  tile.jpg
Views: 978
Size:  10.6 KB

Old 06-09-13, 04:43 PM
Your explanation was fine. I was only joking about the drawing, but it is a NICE one

Old 06-09-13, 06:50 PM
Me again. I talked it over with my friend and he is concerned about there being so little space to work in (i.e. enough to put a piece of plywood in), which is why I suppose you suggest a brass fitting (?) Anywho, I guess taking off the pipe would allow a hole to be cut in a tile to fit the pipe into? After I went back and took a look at it, I guess I am a "little" confused. I know it is a lot to ask, but could you put the steps 1,2,3, etc? I'm handy, but tile stuff is not my forte'.

Thanks again.

Old 06-10-13, 03:37 AM
Sure.
1) Remove the sink and pipe completely to give you working room.
2) Cut a piece of plywood 2" wider and 1" taller than the opening from the pipe up.
3) Adhere it to the inside of the wall with an instant adhesive caulk
4) Cut a piece of cbu exactly the size of the opening from side to side and from the pipe to the top
5) adhere it to the plywood with the adhesive.
6) Cutting tile is not fun. The piece of tile will need to be cut with a hole in it to match the hole for the pipe. Even larger if the nut is in line with the tile.
7) Install the tile using the adhesive.
8) Once dry, grout the seams.

Hopefully you can get this blue tile. Have you any on hand? It may be a booger just finding it.

Old 06-10-13, 04:50 AM
Awesome! Thanks! You are so kind to help with this.

Search this Thread