Control water damage/ceiling leak

Old 06-10-13, 05:32 PM
Control water damage/ceiling leak

They claim the roof is repaired but as you can see from the picture it isn't as my ceiling still gets water damage. The last time a guy came with a hawk & a trowel to spread something that looked alot like mud but I'm unsure exactly what it was... The red arrows on the picture point to the edges of the compound/substance that was used previously. Does anyone have an idea it was patch compound, spackle, plaster or something else??? The ceiling is drywall. Thanks.

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 06-10-13, 07:16 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I would not do anything untill the roof is fixed.
Did you remove the wet insulation and toss it in the dump?
That drywall neeeds to be cut out and replaced not patched over.

Old 06-11-13, 03:59 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Ya, that darkest spot in the middle looks like mold it's likely worse on the other side.

Can you get in the attic and inspect? Are you sure the roof is still leaking? or is the damage just growing?

Regular drywall materials are used in the patching process. Whenever there are water stains they must be sealed with an oil base primer first or they will continue to bleed thru joint compound and/or latex paint.

Old 06-11-13, 11:37 PM
Thanks for all the replies.

Going to use bleach to try to kill the mold/mildew & then Kilz overhead stain sealer. May follow up with joint compound afterwards.

Old 06-12-13, 04:14 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Bleach is good for removing surface mold but I suspect the mold goes thru the drywall and is worse on the topside. Is the drywall still solid? or spongy where the mold is the worst?

Old 06-13-13, 09:14 PM
Overall it's still solid but there is a small area (around the size of a quarter) right where the mold is the worst that is starting to become soft. Any ideas how to add strength? I thought about fiberglass mesh but don't know if some other alternative/s would be better...

Old 06-14-13, 03:49 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I'd at least cut out the soft section and replace it. If you know where any houses are under construction or being remodeled you can bum a piece of scrap drywall.