Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

patching a fiber glass bathtub

's Avatar
Visiting Guest

02-14-01, 11:32 AM   #1  
I recently took down sliding shower doors on my fiber glass tub. I now have holes where the screws were. How can I cover these? Also, my tub is blue, so I would like the patch to match. Furthermore, what is the best way to remove the old caulking? Help! My daughter is too big for her baby tub and I need to get this one in shape!

Sponsored Links

02-14-01, 11:51 PM   #2  
To make the repair: polyester resin, catalyst, polyester colors, fiberglass mating (cut up with scissors), mould release, masking materials, plastics polishing compound, buffing pad, random orbit sander/polisher.

Mould release and masking applied to the surrounding area stops the oops syndrome. Resin soaked glass matting is used as a plug, then more resin to top with. Fill vertical surfaces slowly in layers using acetone to etch each successive layer before applying more (use q-tips, & don't drip on main surfaces). The polishing compound will cut the highs and polish the patch. Use a buffing pad (random orbit) with water as the lubricant for higher gloss or use Gel Gloss and hand rub. To match colors make test batches and record volume or weight measures of each batch. Materials: plastics supply.

If the caulking won't roll off under finger pressure soften it with TSP paste. TSP, a filler like baby powder or chalk, plus water.

Search this Thread